2018 Recruiting Notes

He was also very honest on why he de-committed. That doesn’t happen often. Someone is supposed to teach them how to “do it the right way.”

Kids get completely caught up in the moment when it comes to early commitments. I’m sure I would as well, especially if it’s your dream school like Ohio State was for him.

I don’t know the kid at all besides him being a talented basketball player. There is a lot more to the decision than basketball but these kids wouldn’t be going to any of these schools if it wasn’t for basketball. The ball stops bouncing at some point.

1 Like

Honesty is usually great, but there are statements which are honest but unnecessary and/or hurtful. If you go over to a friend’s house and they ask you whether their daughter, on her way to prom, looks beautiful, it may be honest to say no, she’s not all that attractive, but it’s absolutely the wrong thing to say. I have three kids in their 20s, so I vividly remember the teenage years, and I get that teenagers pay less attention to social niceties than others. However, I can never remember a kid pulling from a commitment (and many do each year) in quite the fashion Bazley did. Add the jumping AAU teams and it doesn’t seem like a kid who just got caught up in the moment.

Just my opinion.

1 Like

Agree 100% with you. What I was referring to was that we rarely see the kids be honest in regards to a de-commitment. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong what he said but he is also a kid. And kids do and say stupid things as I’m sure you can attest with your children.

Another thought on this, maybe Ohio State told him they didn’t want him anymore for a specific reason besides his basketball talent. Then came the jilted boyfriend/girlfriend response from him.

If that was the case/scenario the Buckeyes would be at all forums singing that from here to dooms day.

1 Like

Many programs apply A LOT of pressure on the sales pitch during a visit (official or unofficial); it’s easy to see how/why some kids — and remember they’re still kids — take the bait and/or get caught up in the moment and verbally commit. And then a week or a month or a semester later the kid starts having “buyers remorse” and decides to rescind his/her verbal (non-binding) commitment. So, in general, there can be a lot of legitimate reasons why a kid commits on the spot and then rescinds later.

I don’t like the optics of this particular situation — being overly brutally honest on the way out AND following that up with a change of Summer League programs. Almost looks like there has been a shakeup in the chain of command advising the kid?

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: 2018 - F - Pete Nance (Target)

1 Like

Assuming he is being looked at the 5 since not much for ball skills? Like him at that position in the pick n roll.

Seems like that’s probably where he’d fit eventually. Real early as he’s mostly talking with Saddi though.

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/862750328025993217

Thanks, the two positions i am most intrigued by in this class are the 5 and 2/3 but has been very little info about targets at those positions.

Dylan, have you caught wind of when the Elite Camp might be happening this summer? Hoping we get a lot of these guys in for that.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2018 - Wing - Ignas Brazdeikis (Offer)

Two Elite Camps, one in June and one in August. I’d have to check the exact dates.

I think there are a lot of guys who are very flexible position wise which makes it tricky to project. Ignas, Tyson are probably some sort of 3, but could slide up? maybe down? Hunter, Johns are also wings who could definitely slide up.

So it is hard to group the 2/3 together since really the 2 is more like the 1 and the 3 is more like the 4 at U-M. That being said, there was originally definitely a want for a pure 2 (Cormac, Carmody, Bieniemy) kind of seem in that range.

Maybe Brooks and Poole project to that spot a bit (with 2 other PGs on the roster), but it is all pretty interchangeable. Think the key is to get a couple of guys from that top group and then figure out what else you need.

Also if you look at who is on the roster in 2018… having guys who can slide up to the 4 starts to seem like the biggest void.

Is there somewhere I can find a list of 2018 targets and their AAU teams? The EYBL circuit is coming to Atlanta this weekend and I might try to catch some games.

http://www.d1circuit.com/ has all of the EYBL rosters.

Dave DeJulius plays for The Family with Gabe Brown.

Brandon Johns (Spiece), Cormac Ryan (NY Rens), Ignas (CIA Bounce), Hunter Tyson (CP3), Cole Swider (BABC),

2 Likes

Thanks, Dylan!

Game tied and game on the line naz Carter takes Cormac off the dribble and gets the wide open dunk for the win. City rocks beat ny rens. Upstate wins the day.

Also I saw a picture of Carmody in a Rens jersey with cormac. Did he switch teams.

Yep looks like Carmody is running with the NY Rens this weekend.

Jacobi Gordon a target from Texas that was mentioned awhile ago. Says he has a Mich offer but don’t think he has visited. Not getting my hopes up but athletic wing.

1 Like