2018 - F - Jerome Hunter (IU Commit)

We need a shooter in this class badly. Need either Tyson or Locke. If Hunter waits himself out of a spot, so be it, especially if we get Iggy too.

I would agree if shooting was considered a major weakness of Johns, Iggy or Hunter. But they’re all at least solid shooters. Locke is one of the best shooters in the class but I don’t think Tyson is significantly better enough to take him over the others.

Plus, with Brooks, Poole, Livers and DeJulius, we’ve got shooting pretty covered.

1 Like

I would consider Johns a long recruitment so sounds like we may “finally” have won one

3 Likes

Something to watch re: Jerome Hunter… Cole Swider is expected to decide between Xavier and Duke shortly. (Obviously a bit off the mark here as he picked Villanova :slight_smile: )

That will be interesting to see. Is OSU a real player here or are they just too late to the game in your opinion?

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2018 Recruiting Notes

I don’t think they were a huge threat originally, but the new staff could change that. If I was hired and told to build a wall around the state… I’d probably work my ass off to get in the mix with a guy like Hunter down the street. Believe Holtmann also offered him at Butler.

The fact that he waited to announce his list until Indiana offered (over the weekend at team camp) also seems notable. Hoosiers really wanted Johns (and now have offered Hunter, Bazley in the last couple of days).

1 Like

Funny enough he chose Nova so no bearing (at least directly) on this recruitment

1 Like

Swider committed to Villanova

1 Like

Sounds like Jerome Hunter is on a visit today at UM. Have to think they’d push for a pre-July period commit if they are going to use their official now. (I was under the impression that only Official visits are allowed in July)

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/bball-em-30-jerome-hunter-visiting-today

6 Likes

Feel like Hunter’s recruitment is going to end within the next couple weeks with a commit to the good guys or he will be going elsewhere.

1 Like

That’s pretty big imo

2 Likes

Over the last couple of days I watched some video on Brandon Johns, Hunter Tyson, and finally MattD’s video on Jerome Hunter. Based on the videos, I would rank them Jerome H #1 (by a wide margin), Hunter T #2, and finally Johns #3. Jerome Hunter can do it all. It was great to see some rebounding and fast break initiation in a video! That alley oop to the little guy was absolutely sick, that takes skill. Tyson H also looked good with a nice range of skills. He’s a very confident dribble and I loved the Mo Wagner behind the back move. OTOH, Brandon Johns just didn’t do it for me. Seems like a low motor guy that likes to hang on the perimeter. But he’s ranked #54, so there must be something there that I’m missing. BUT WE NEED JEROME HUNTER.

Jerome and Iggy are # 1

Iggy gets penetration at will, something Hunter is still working on. Iggy has tons of dog in him.

That said, either would put this class at another level

1 Like

This visit and timing would seem to be a phenomenal sign for us. We have the chance we need. Hunter and/or Iggy makes this a special special class

1 Like

Hmmm, right now I’d rank Johns #1 on that list. He’s looked very good to me. Great stroke, nice post moves, and finishing with authority down low. He’s a future pro IMO.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I think Hunter is slightly better than Iggy and has a higher ceiling, but it’s probably splitting hairs between the two of them. I’d take either (or both!).

I don’t know if Mr.LG watched highlights of Johns from last year, but he improved on pretty much everything that was considered a weakness last year. And while he’s a stretch four, he has shown that he can finish inside this spring/summer. Great get.

4 Likes

Absolutely amazing how people can watch the same thing and see 100% different things.

Yep, everyone sees things differently. Jerome Hunter’s film reminds me a lot of Kam Kameron, not sure if it is a goood sign. I like the recent films of Johns, high ceiling, but needs time to adjust and add explosiveness. Tyson and Ignas, on the other hand, will be ready contribute as freshmen, both glue guys. Tyson would shine and maximize his ceiling in this offense, and Ignas has a lot of fire in his game like Novak.

1 Like