2017 Recruiting Notes

Seems like since we value three point shooting with our four men, Young would be a priority over Tillman if all else is relatively equal.

With that said, the competition for Young seems stronger, so hopefully we’re keeping the lines of communication open with Tillman so if we don’t get Young, we could have a decent shot with Tillman. Any idea if he’s planning on the UM practice camp in August? A class of Cain, Poole, and Young/Tillman would be great for us.

LA - I’d agree, but all things aren’t equal. I don’t think anyone would dispute Donnie has far better ball skills in terms of handling and court vision. Better athlete as well.

1 Like

Young is worlds ahead in shooting and that’s what Beilein wants. Young would turn thing program around and head us in the right direction. They are both good rebounders, neither one is better than the other. Young is absolutely destroying the eybl right now while playing heavy minutes. He is rated higher for a reason, as his complete game has a much higher ceiling. Young did start out slow but if you look at his last 5-6 games, he might be the best player in the eybl during that span. He is as close to a must get as we have offered and hopefully we can get this kid.

Young had 17 points, 13 rebounds, and 3 assists this morning, this guy is becoming a force.

Matt, I have no dog in this–I haven’t seen either live, and have seen little of Tillmon on tape. It’s quite possible that Tillmon is a better player in all respects other than 3 point shooting, as you suggest, and even that he’s a better player overall. However, as you know, you don’t just add up categories in evaluating a player–if, for example, one guy is a 7 out of 10 in all major categories (perimeter shooting, scoring around the basket, passing, ball skills, athleticism, defense/lateral movement), and the other guy is an 8 in every category except shooting where he’s a 1, I’ll take the 7s guy, particularly for what Beilein runs. Again, maybe Tillmon is substantially better than Young in the other categories, or perhaps he shoots (from the perimeter) better than I’m gathering–I’m not evaluating the two against each other–just saying that evaluation is a combination of lots of things and roster building to boot.

Would Tillmon actually be a candidate to play some 5 in JBs system?

Also, an update–Poole had 33 this morning (5 3s), along with 7 rebounds and 3 assists (1 turnover).

3 Likes

Young would turn the program around? He has a much higher ceiling? Again, I’m a fan of Young, but that is absurd

1 Like

I said that wrong. He would come in, be a productive player from the start and become one of the better players in the big ten before he’s gone. This guy can really do it all. He can’t turn the program around because we already have a good program, but he would be a great piece in continuing to build a big ten championship team. His defense might be his only weakness that I have seen. Does Beilein care about that? most likely not. Pick n roll with Poole/Simpson would be unstoppable. TIllman and Young neither would play the 5 as we have 2 centers already for the distant suture. Poole, Young, Cain, and a pg in '17 would be pretty ideal at this point.

Again - when I evaluate when a prospect, I don’t evaluate through a UM lens. I evaluate the prospect as I see applicable to the college level in general. I think Donnie is better in the short term because he has a college ready body, is more physical, has superior ball skills, is a better athlete. I think Donnie has a higher ceiling because he’s always going to be a better athlete than Young. That being said, I love Young as a prospect and I don’t think there’s a huge gap in terms of overall impact at UM. Also, keep this in mind Donnie is putting up 13, 6.5 Rebs, 1.5 asst, almost a block, on 51% shooting…on one knee. There is a reason he’s only averaging 19.5 minutes per game

I haven’t seen film on him, I’ll have to check him out. Sounds like his game is maybe a little similar to Draymond, who of course we also recruited hard.

1 Like

Also - for those in the ‘Jamal Cain can’t shoot’ camp, he’s 9/17 from 3 during the last 6 games after starting off 3/19. Like I said, most shooters go through slumps, including Poole, Bowen, etc. Cain is an above average/good shooter, more than competent in that regard and better than Ibi IMO

1 Like

LA - you took the words out of my mouth. I should have something for you soon - keep in mind he’s doing this on limited mins and playing through injury.

JM - seems like we were both right with respect to rebounding. Young has the edge over Donnie in Dreb% at 21.5% compared to Donnie’s 16.5%. Donnie has the edge in Oreb% at 13.3% compared to Young at 7%.

Biggest discrepancy is FT rate - Donnie has an astounding 57.8 FT rate compared to Young at 28. When Donnie goes to the rack, his defender is just coming along for the ride, that is a fact. Donnie gets to his spot against anyone.

Donnie holds the edge in assist rate at 13% over Young at 9%. Donnie is certainly a better passer

Defensively Young is 1.5% for both block and steal percentage. Donnie is at 3.2% block percentage and 2.3% steal percentage.

Statistically, it appears Donnie is the more well rounded player based on the small 11 game sample. Just a matter of how much you weight shooting

1 Like

Following ranking this early before even the Jr. Year Spring AAU circuit is done is silly talk.

1 Like

Exactly, rankings in general are not the end all be all. Live evaluation and film are better indicators. Can you anyone look at this film of Donnie from last year and tell me he’s a generic 3 star? His offer list and interest don’t think so

1 Like

Being hung up on rankings in basketball in general is silly talk. I could probably name 20 teams off the top of my head that would have wiped the floor with Michigan last year that would dream to recruit at Michigan’s CURRENT level.

It would be nice to be able to recruit at a Duke or Kansas level in regards to the higher ranked kids but there are a ton of teams that don’t that do just fine.

Michigan needs more athletes that have skill or show signs of skill that can be developed plain and simple. Both Young and Tillman would do just fine here. Just get 1 or someone similar.

4 Likes

We desperately need someone who can get to the rack and draw fouls! If Donnie can do that consistently, then he should be a priority.

Enough with the patty cake around the perimeter garbage we’ve seen the past 2 years.

1 Like

This can’t be stressed enough. Michigan is so close to being really good. Young or Tillman may be what gets us over the hump in the short term. We cannot afford to miss out on one of them.

I’ve said before, but give me 2 of 3 from Young, Cain and Tillman and I’ll be a very very happy man.

Glad to see that tweet that UM is starting to show more interest in DT. Hope it ramps up.

Nonsense. There are others.

1 Like

You’re right – the are others like Malik Williams. (I’m assuming that’s what you meant.)

1 Like