2017 Recruiting Notes

Yes, that is true. They will concede baskets only to beat you downcourt with a baseball pass – straight out of the Gathers/Kimble era LMU playbook. Gimmicky but it works if you have the Ball brothers on your team. Anyway, I recall that King got blown out by Malik Monk’s team during the same tournament, but I don’t know how Poole fared in that game.

Could you list the names of all the players attending that you think UM has interest in?

Jaren Jackson, and thoughts on him compared to Cain?

One thing to consider with Cain, Poole’s stats is that they are playing on teams that just aren’t very good. I think one win between The Family and Mac Irvin. Hard to put up impressive efficiency numbers playing for a bad team.

Now obviously their teams could be better if they were playing better, but it is something to consider.

1 Like

It’s really hard to take a lot from these games. If I recall, Tim Hardway had a very up-and-down AAU career, and Glenn Robinson was a guy who scored maybe 10 a game deferring to teammates like McGary and others.

I think, like the McDonalds game, the kids who dominate are likely to be very good, but the converse isn’t necessarily true - guys who seemingly struggle often still turn out to be really good college players. To me, Cain seems pretty long, he’s athletic, has a decent handle, and like Tim, though his three isn’t going in at the moment, his form is very good. I think he’s a Hardaway/Robinson type of wing, and would be a nice player for us. Can’t miss? No, Michael Porter is a can’t miss. But my level of confidence is high that Cain can become a good player for us.

EYBL has also changed the game a bit… Back when Glenn and Mitch were tearing up AAU, they would be at a tournament like the Pitt Jam Fest that wasn’t loaded with so many national programs. I followed both around at the Pitt Jam Fest and they were both fantastic though.

Now the EYBL is a 40 team tournament event that is basically the best of the best playing games against each other.

1 Like

Matt, have you seen Djuricic at all? I gather he isn’t having a great time on the circuit so far. Among Canadians on CIA Bounce, Simi Shittu (yes, that’s his name, don’t judge) is really putting up solid numbers. Would love to have a player like him.

Certain players standout in an AAU setting because it’s generally more free flowing than HS. Same goes for the All-Star setting (McDonald’s, Jordan, etc). Sometimes the style of play and the potential lack of coaching hurts kids. Now, the elite usually stand out regardless but there are plenty of players that get lost in the shuffle because of the style of play.

I’ve watched Cain a few times now and I believe he can be very good at the college level. Shooting consistently will be important for him. I honestly don’t think they look for him enough with the lack of talent on The Family this year. I’ve watched Poole a few times as well and I think he is a poor man’s version of D’Angelo Russell. I haven’t been able to watch Young at all but I’m going to try over the next few days.

Have to remember this…everyone’s highlights look great. I believe the hardest part for most fans is that they all expect someone to “a pro” purely based off of the kid’s highlights. They are expecting those plays on every possession. It’s just not realistic but hard when you haven’t seen anything but highlights.

1 Like

Jamal Cain, Brandon Johns, Parker Stewart, Jaren Jackson, Kyle Young

2 totally different types of players. Jackson is a 6’10 guy that is a catch and shoot type from distance in the half court and can handle and pass in transition. Needs to get stronger…doesn’t do much in the paint at all. Stretch 4/5

Cain can handle much better, is probably a better rebounder and is certainly a better finisher around the rim but doesn’t shoot as well from deep

So a guy averaging 11.4 and 4.6 Rebs on 22 mins is bad lol? If you project that out to 30 mins you’re looking at a guy averaging 15ppg and 6.3 Rebs - pretty close to the numbers you think he should be putting up. If you don’t like his game that’s your opinion, but to say he’s been bad is ridiculous IMO. If you want to say he’s an ISO scorer, I can accept that. That’s what we need anyway

1 Like

Haven’t had the chance to see him

Not UM related, but man Markell Johnson can go. That kid is on another level

Why do you always twist words around? I said struggling. He is shooting poorly, not assisting at all and turning the ball over a lot. Yes those points and rebound stats are above average, but the rest of his game at this point is not. There’s a whole lot more to basketball than points and rebounds. Should I say again that those points are coming with very bad percentages besides from the free throw line. I have never said that Cain is not a good player but at this point to project him as a go to guy in college seems to be a stretch at this point.

1 Like

John - where would you say Cain is in relation to Ibi Watson at the same age?

FYI - JB did watch Donnie Tillman today

3 Likes

So it sounds like Jackson and Young would be guys we’re targeting for the four, and Cain at the three. Cool.

they are pretty close to me. Watson assisted more, turned the ball over much less, they rebounded the same and defensive style is pretty close, production wise I’m talking about. Watson could shoot from deep better and Cain can get to the rim easier, although after aau last summer, Watson clearly worked on it and attacked the rim more during his senior year and was pretty good at it. Both are pretty inefficient scorers and both shoot free throws well. I see their college careers going about the same in them both being around 4 years and being contributors. Don’t see either one being a big time player though. Cain has this summer and his senior year to improve, so let’s hope he does just that.

John - we just see 2 totally different games. To say Ibi is on par with Cain in terms of rebounding and defense is borderline insane, and Id venture to say that the majority of folks here agree. To say Ibi is a better shooter, that appears to be the case. To say he turns the ball over less would be true, though caveats apply because Ibi is strictly a catch and shoot guy IMO. I look at Ibi at see a guy that is a 200-250 type talent. I look at Cain and see a 60-80 type talent. Think Cain is considerably better than Ibi, with a more diverse game.

2 Likes

I’d say that sounds about right.