2017 Recruiting Notes

We don’t want Young now? That was Young’s first bad game of the circuit. Skeptical of your talent evals.

1 Like

Beilein checking on Jaren Jackson and Brandon Johns now.

Cain not bad at all today

Saying we need a backup plan means we don’t want our first option? Why lord, do people like this exist?

2 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 blocks, 0 steals. Put up 10 shots though. I do want to know what classifies as a good game to you?

Limited mins. You are expecting HS kids to be as efficient as college players in an AAU setting where they might practice twice a week. Pure foolishness

Based on your train of thought there might be 10-15 worthy players in all of EYBL

3 Likes

I’m only basing my expectations on the way you have talked him up like he is Micheal Jordan. To say he wasn’t bad at all is pretty far from accurate. The team had 5 blocks and 9 steals, he didn’t record one. What about todays game impressed you?

Did you watch the game?

Parts of it, I was watching Jordan Poole and Kyle Young’s games and forgot his game was on. So I would guess I saw about half of it total.

So in your opinion, what was bad about Cain’s game?

From what I watched, He doesn’t try to set up other players at all. His offense, when he has the ball, It’s all him. His defense is about average I would say. He had no blocks or steals like I previously stated. His one assist and one turnover is what it is. The only thing I took from that is that he kept his turnovers down. From what I took from the things you were saying about him is this. He should be averaging 17 7 4 1 1. That may not be fair but the way you talked him up and what I have seen so far don’t match up. He’s got time, but these better players he is facing seem to be giving him a hard time. He wasn’t in foul trouble so why did he play so few minutes today?

I haven’t seen much of his high school footage, but I’m going to guess the fact he was probably one of the bigger guys on the court at all times played into why he had the stats he did. He definitely will not be in the big ten.

Hard time? I seriously have no idea what you are watching. He’s beating his defender 1 on 1 nearly every time he’s in an ISO situation and getting to the line because nobody can stay in front of him. Other than yesterday (foul trouble), Cain has played relatively well IMO. If you want to criticize anything it’s the 3ball, hes been bad in that regard. Looks like a legit top 100 player to me. His talent is so obvious on the court.

I mean, we have to really put this in context. You said Cain was struggling last week and the kid put up 14.7 and 6.7 Rebs lol. I really don’t know how to respond to something like that

1 Like

I’m ok with disagreeing. I do see potential in his game, but I also see there is quite a bit of work to be done.

Seems like Poole has struggled with poor shooting fairly consistently in these first two sessions. Is his limited athleticism affecting his play versus strong competition?

Too small a sample, remember he absolutely lit up Chino Hills #1 team in the Max Preps Holiday Classic

I’m on a small break - you guys have any Qs, any players you’re curious about?

My recollection was that he struggled initially but piled on a bunch of points after Chino had sealed the blowout. Agree it’s a small sample size, just something to watch.

He has 3 assists and 17 turnovers, that is struggling. He has played 5 games. 11.4 points, 42%fg, 15%3pt fg, 4.6 rebounds, .6 assists, 3.4 turnovers, .6 steals, .8 blocks. Those are not good numbers. Again, he has some potential, but he has a lot of work to do. Good thing is, he has the rest of summer to put in the work and improve. I’m not saying don’t offer this kid or pursue him, but saying he is a must get seems to be a little far fetched.

He has shot over 40% from the field in 1 of 5 games.

1 Like

Also something to consider, Chino Hills is a 90% offense and 10% defense type of team.