2017 Recruiting Notes

I’d almost expect more attrition at the 5 if were really pursuing this guy seriously. Unless Donnal isn’t getting his redshirt year back, would we really roll into '17 with Donnal, Davis, Teske, Wilson, and Williams? Same can be said for Antetokounmpo.

I don’t see donnall getting that year if we land the guys we want. Last resort kinda. But kostas is a four/ with the ability to play the three so I don’t see that affecting it.

I think Williams is the kind of guy you look at even if half your roster already consists of centers – he’s just such a talent upgrade. But it’s entirely possible that there could also be more attrition at the 5, as you suggest.

Regarding Kostas, my understanding is that he’s not a 5 – while I have yet to see the staff put a 6-foot-10 guy at any other position, I assume he simply wouldn’t come to play center.

1 Like

Its certainly encouraging to see Beilein taking Izzo on in all of these recruitments; just hope we have a serious shot. Losing Langford still hurts and I want some retribution. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Update with Brian Bowen

“UCLA, Kentucky, Michigan State, Michigan, Kansas, Villanova, Maryland, Texas and those are pretty much the schools that have been recruiting me hard,” he said.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Potential Transfer Targets (Summer 2016)

Watching Cain right now vs. Las Vegas Prospects…

He has been playing the “5” for a majority of the time I’ve been watching. The Family has gone small and is pressuring LVP to get turnovers after digging themselves a hole. Cain just hit a 3 and missed an alley-ooo earlier. He’d be perfect for the top of the 1-3-1 with his length and athleticism. He is really energetic on the bench and seems to really want to win (think opposite of the Houston Rockets).

I do not see anyone from the UM staff at the game but the camera is a little blurry. They’ll occasionally zoom in on the coaches but I haven’t seen them do that yet.

I’m here - Cain was in foul trouble early on, played very limited minutes (probably 10-12 all game). Never got a rhtyhm going. Cain didn’t play the 5, but he did play off ball the majority of the time. Family had a gutsy performance, down 25 at 1 point, came back and took the lead with about 1 minute to go. Made youthful mistakes during the last 30 secs that cost them the gain.

Greg Elliott was extremely impressive today. Not a guard that really handles the ball, but just does all the little things to win. Crashes the glass, knocks down open shots, finishes at the rime, solid perimeter D. He’s going to pick up more offers, no doubt about it.

Hey Matt, any word on who the staff has been watching. No mention of any Mich coaches yet but assume they are there.

1 Like

Very quiet half for Kyle Young. 0-3 from the field, 2rebs, 2asst

He’s terrible. We don’t want him. I’m absolutely being facetious. Thanks for the reports, Matt, please keep them coming!

It happens, just an off game from Young. I’m still a big fan of his game

1 Like

Cain with a pretty nice first half. Finished with 8 pts, 2rebs, 1 asst. 3-6 from the field.

Beilein watching Family vs BABC

Cain finished with 10 pts on 4-10 shooting. Struggling with his 3 ball but automatic from midrange

Cain played limited mins - have no idea why as team clearly struggles without him

It seems Poole, Young and Cain played pretty poorly today. Not too concerned quite yet but hopefully they pick up their level of play soon. I hope we have backup plans for both Cain and Young because watching them play against good competition so far is a little uninspiring.

We don’t want Young now? That was Young’s first bad game of the circuit. Skeptical of your talent evals.

1 Like

Beilein checking on Jaren Jackson and Brandon Johns now.