2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Spring Grove is Class AAAAA. Second biggest classification in PA as far as I can tell. Seems like everyone is bunched into one state tournament from AAAA upward. http://www.piaa.org/assets/web/documents/2016_AAAAB_BB_Brax.pdf

Last year they lost in the first round.

The competition level has more to do with just where Spring Grove is located. It’s two hours from Philly and isn’t really a basketball hotbed by any means. There aren’t a lot of D1, high-major, etc. prospects in the York area.

As recently as 5 years ago acoaching buddy told me of a school where the gym has a 10 second line you gave to cross, but then you can go back over to a different line so you actually have half court spacing to run an offense. Best guess is 54’ to 64’ on that one.

Exactly. Generally speaking rural areas like Spring Grove are going to have a very poor level of basketball.

You can stream tonight’s Spring Grove game live on gametimepa.com, they are playing a team that is considered a middle of the pack type of team in the league. But yes the overall quality of the league is not considered the best, but within the same distrist they play in is some of the best in the state which has Reading High School that has top 25 player in the country Lonnie Walker on it. So hopefully come playoff time they will play some of these higher caliber teams. Last year Spring Grove lost in the Semi finals of the distrist tournament 1 game short of playing Lonnies team in the finals

1 Like

That was like my junior high basketball court. We even played another junior high that had a carpeted gym. Nobody wanted to dive for any loose balls lol.

My high school had an average graduating class of about 28 kids. Some real small schools out there.

1 Like

You wanna talk about a stud…Lonnie Walker is nice. Would love to see Brooks square off with Reading

I was able to watch Lonnie in a York tip off tournament to start the season and he put on a show, very talented player. Some other context on the league Eli is by far the biggest recruit to come out of the York Area. Within the last 5 or so years the York league has had a few D 1 players all mid majors (Colgate, Monmouth, Towson) and all had good college careers there. So it will be fun to watch if Spring Grove can advance far enough in the playoffs to play the better teams.

Watching the stream… these teams are pretty bad.

Dallastown playing a box and 1 against Brooks right now.

What’s the quality of the stream?

I’d give it a C-

Ehhh, probably not worth the time. Keep us posted. Thanks

Flip it on.

Brooks basically showing what you would expect based on his film.

Missed half of the 3rd quarter whoops.

Spring Grove 45
Dallastown 40
End of 3rd

Brooks just had a pretty nice play where he had a block/steal (I think) and then led the 3 on 1 fast break. Gave it up and then caught and dunked the lob back. He’s shown more athleticism than I was expecting.

I’m guessing he’s sitting around 20 points 8 rebounds 4 assists after 3

-Books is the best player on the court and it’s not really close. The caveat is obviously that neither of these teams are that good.

-Brooks isn’t his teams primarily ball handler. He basically plays every position but #20 is the “true” PG.

-Brooks did most of his damage slashing. I was expecting more catch and shoot but he is pretty aggressive.

2 Likes

Do you think the UM coaches see his long-term role more as an undersized 2-guard? Hence the addition of DeJulius in the '18 Class as a true PG?

Maybe hedging their bets more than seeing him as a 2? I’m not sure. It was hard to evaluate his handle through the stream but he definitely had some nice passes. I watched two games of Brooks and two of Poole and in those 4 games Brooks definitely had better passing. Of course, Poole was playing nationally ranked opponents in his two games and Brooks was playing league teams.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. We need one (preferably both) of those guys to be ready.

Finished with 30 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists.