2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Didn’t X drop 60 in a game last year?

1 Like

Yep. Scoring outbursts vs poor comp don’t really mean a lot.

1 Like

Brooks reminds me a little of Travis Trice in an undersized 2 guard with a jumper way

At the high school level, stats aren’t always the most telling. But scoring 40 points in a game you win by 2 against a good team is different than scoring 60 in a game you win by 50.

I don’t think you can look at any situation as the same and say well player X (Carlton Brundidge, Xavier Simpson, whoever) scored a lot in HS and then didn’t in HS, because there are also plenty of guys who did score a lot in HS (even against weak competition) and then played great in college.

Their situations aren’t really related.

2 Likes

Right. Stating Brooks scored 40 doesn’t mean a thing.

Nothing? It says something about a kid if he goes off down the stretch to lead his team to a big win. Does it mean everything? Is it the most important thing? No, but it’s still a data point.

Just like it doesn’t mean nothing that Bamba is averaging 9 points per game this year, but it isn’t the most important thing either.

2 Likes

So which is it? You post that he scores 40. I simply say X scored 60. You draw your own conclusions. I agree and say it doesn’t mean anything is 100%. Now you’re saying it does mean something? Sheesh…remind me not to say anything again…

Not really trying to disagree with you, more just figure out what you are saying and provide some context around what I was trying to convey. My bad.

I think his point is that 40 points against very suspect competition may not be indicative of much considering X put up 60 vs a horrible Fremont Ross team last year. Especially considering X’s offensive struggles now. Bottom line is that expectation level and enthusiasm have to be severely tempered based on poor comp level

Don’t know about “very suspect.” The team they beat was undefeated. Maybe not great comp overall in that league but also factor in that Brooks’ team does not have a lot of talent and teams focus on him.

I don’t see anyone saying that Eli is going to come in and be what Trey was his freshman year. I do think we’re allowed to be mildly encouraged when a future Michigan player goes off in a high school game.

4 Likes

In my estimation Detroit area basketball is mediocre/above average for the most part. That said East English (Dave DeJulius and Greg Elliott) would absolutely destroy Spring Grove or any team in that respective conference based on the limited film I’ve seen. Drawing inferences accordingly, I temper any statistical outbursts Brooks may have because of that.

That is certainly a factor, as are the 'Nova and OSU offers and his game performances.

Hopefully I’m a fool on this one.

As I recall, Spike went to prep school for a post-graduate year because he had no offers out of HS.

It’s true, though I was guessing MattD was including his prep school year as part of overall better comp.

Sadly Detroit as a whole is diluted now with the extra charter schools and buildings opening and closing, plus school of choice recruiting at the boundaries. Still definitely above average compared to most of the state and nation. It is no longer elite like in the 80s early 90s (also true of NYC imo).

1 Like

For everyone: Any comp in Michigan about what brooks is playing against? Either class size or conference obviously not psl but are we talking class D with 7 man rosters and 74’ courts (these exist in The state btw). I don’t enjoy watching recruit videos, and most of my hs hoops knowledge is Michigan based. Thanks.

Nowhere near the talent level of the early to late 90s. Much of it has to do with the population decline due to the job scenario here. I’ll say this though, the talent is trending upward the last few years relative to 5 years ago. Certainly not LA, Chicago, Dallas, DC, but getting better.

I played on what had to be the smallest court in the state. That school closed like 15 years ago, though.