2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Gonna have to agree with Matt here. I’m not seeing the Winston/Brooks comparison at all.

I’ll agree on Winston’s passing ability. I’m not as convinced on change of direction, but you may be right. Either way though, my point was not that they’re equivalent but rather that their styles of play are pretty similar. Like Dylan, it’s hard to compare guys like Brooks to guys who were/are all-conference players (or even established starters) without seeming silly, so I tried to take an incoming freshman. If I had to go style plus size plus possible production, that’s much tougher. How about Shep Garner?

1 Like

Watching some more vid from Summer Jam Fest (believe it was last weekend) and it continues to be his ability to shoot off the bounce that is most impressive to me. Smooth, quick, high release off the dribble and he’s pretty consistent from the elbows.

And to clarify on the Monte Morris comment. I wasn’t trying to say he’d be a Monte Morris-caliber player. I think early on in his career he’s a backup to Xavier. More just in their style of games.

If you compare to the 2013 PG class, Xavier is much more like Walton – quick, full court PG, a bit smaller, sometimes limited in the half court – whereas Monte never really stood out physically but a) he won and b) he just seemed to run the offense effectively at all times. I think Brooks is that cerebral type of PG who can run the offense and create off the PNR but might be physically limited especially on D.

1 Like

I think I understand what MattD is saying. If he’s a 10 minute guy that has value. I also understand you want depth to protect against injury. Isn’t there a point though if he’s a 10 minute guy and an injury hits asking him to play 30+ minutes a night would actually hurt the team and effect the performance of that player or the team? For instance if Walton got hurt they would have Albrecht but asking him to play 30+ minutes isn’t ideal either. If Simpson got hurt and you started with a lineup of Brooks-Poole-Matthews-Teske-??? How would that lineup and team perform?

Well of course we’d like top 100 players at every position on the roster. That isn’t realistic, though.

3 Likes

All of the 13 kids will be gone by the time 17 rolls around so not sure that plays a part. It’s more a numbers game that the 17 class will be important because of small 15 class and 14 transfers.

One other thing about Brooks, it is really weird watching AAU film where the team runs an offense.

1 Like

No, how Brooks is ultimately viewed is determined by how he plays at Michigan, which makes it especially funny at how upset some people get about a high school kid committing to us.

6 Likes

I think this is how most of us see it.

I still think it should be a goal. Villanova had a 7-8 man rotation and 7 of those guys were top 100 recruits. Nobody averaged over 32 mpg and you could make the case they were fortunate there weren’t any injuries but usually in a championship season you get some luck along the way. Of course it’s difficult to attain but if you’re consistently bringing in 2-3 top 100 kids a year at some point you will have a roster with 6-7 top 100 kids. Give Villanova credit for terrific recruiting when teams like Duke/Kentucky/Kansas usually dominate the top 3.

If we are to look over a 4 year period and 400 top 100 kids even with those 1 and done schools it isn’t much to ask for Michigan to get 6 to 7 of the remaining 375-380 kids over those 4 years.

1 Like

I think I would have preferred Bearden to Brooks with the rest of the lineup in place but it’s a minor difference, IMO. Bearden appears to have higher defensive upside/an immediate role as a defensive stopper. Brooks appears to be a much better fit on the offensive end/potential scoring spark off the bench.

I trust the reports on Simpson as a scoring threat PG, so ideally I’d like to see him complemented with a defensive stopper off the bench.

But I like the add in Brooks. PG spot now appears safe for the next 3-5 seasons.

For the rankings people… 247 added Brooks at 112. For some reason he shows up in the top100 composite on their rankings but not sure where else he’s ranked.

1 Like

I pretty much agree with that. Though I’m considering Matthews as part of this class/group and I think Matthews + Poole is a REALLY good pairing to start a class/group.

If you ask me, IMO, we can all agree if we’re being honest that most instances were addition by subtraction.

1 Like

Some people here need to learn that when you disagree with someone it doesn’t mean that they are wrong or dumb.

We are talking about a kid that most people have seen five minutes of video of from three or four games. Then trying to project that to the college level.

There are no absolutes in a situation like this.

5 Likes

Unrelated obviously, but who exactly thinks that?

@mattd @hailtoyourvictor @tarverine : the three of you have taken this thread way personal with the back and forth. Take it to PM or email or something. No one cares what any of you said earlier in the thread.

1 Like

If you have a Scout account, interesting post.

http://www.scout.com/college/michigan/forums/1088-the-victors-club/14841132-notes-on-new-hoops-commit-brooks/ms/184801660

Interesting. If it’s true he had Ivy League suitors, that says something about his academic make up — which is an element Beilein has looked at during his tenure at UM.

I hadn’t seen the sophomore highlight clip when I made that comment. I watched the Spring Grove vs Dallastown game and I came away thinking he was worthy of that ranking.

"The junior scored 33 points, including the game-winning shot in overtime to lift Spring Grove to a 55-54 win at Dallastown, extending the Rockets’ winning streak to nine games…

Down by one with less than 30 seconds left in overtime, Spring Grove called a timeout and elected to hold for the last shot and a potential game-winning bucket. After a scramble at the top of the key and near turnover, Brooks caught a pass, took two dribbles to his left and pulled up. His jumper, which had been so reliable for him all night, fell through the net with 1.1 seconds left, sending the Spring Grove faithful into a hysteria. Brooks left his shooting hand up in the air as he bounced back toward halfcourt, then looked over at the Rockets fans and smiled…

The shot in overtime wasn’t the only clutch moment for Brooks, who also knocked down six 3-pointers. He scored 10 points in the third quarter to bring Spring Grove back after Dallastown had taken its largest lead at 46-39 and he sank two free throws to tie the game with less than 30 seconds left in regulation."

I mean, maybe that as an abnormally good game for Brooks, but it was the one I randomly watched and commented on.

Agreed. This was a pretty good pickup given that we will already have X here in the prior class. I was hoping for someone with more size like Eastern, but beggars can’t be choosers. He sounds like an underrated player who was on the rise which where JB usually does best.

1 Like