2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

In watching him, his game seems very similar to Brent Darby’s. Not super quick, but a good passer, good outside shooter, and has the ability to control the tempo of the game from the point guard spot. I think he’s going to be a nice third guard for us, and I certainly think he’ll play some two guard from time-to-time the way Spike has over the years.

Darby was much stronger physically than Brooks, and because of his strength, often guarded players bigger than he was (BR Jr. for one). I don’t see that with Brooks.

Having watched more film (which has dissuaded me from my completely erroneous Cassius Winston first impression), the guy to whom I would draw a parallel in terms of style, strengths and weaknesses, and reasonably expected production is Robbie Reid. Obviously not a perfect comparison–Brooks is longer and has better hops, while Reid was more polished and experienced–but this seems right to me. Undersized combo with PG ability who can really shoot it, doesn’t make mistakes, not a blow-by guy or someone with great lateral quickness or wiggle but who can run an offense, etc. Ribbie Reid was a legitimate Big Ten caliber starting guard but not a star. At this point, based on admittedly limited film, that’s where I see Brooks. Given what I perceive as an absolute need for a PG in the class of '17, and one who has the ability to play some alongside Simpson rather than just in his stead, I like the pickup.

Brooks’ in the lane floater, which is wicked, brought back memories of Khalid El Amin killing Duke with runners in the NC game in '99. At least that is what my foggy, unreliable memory is telling me

He reminds me a bit of Jeff Teague (in style, not success). Minus the handles.

1 Like

Hmmm, he looks bigger than Reid to me, and Reid really wasn’t capable of scoring off the dribble, Brooks looks like he can.

My comparison to Darby was just based on his offensive game. Darby was also a four year guy, so I’m sure got stronger over time. Not sure when he guarded BRJ, but probably not his freshman year.

Eli’s ranking just jumped to 89, up from 112. What a difference a day makes.

1 Like

Lots of comments about wanting to see film of brooks this summer, when schools went after him hard. What are the odds that pops up? Or do people get to wait for film from his hs team?

Brooks drop 29 spots to #142/3star on 247 updated rankings. This seems reasonable based on my uninformed opinion (haven’t seen him live) of his film.

Around 150 is what I’d say based on the very limited stuff we have on him.

2 Likes

Eli Brooks with 31 points in Spring Grove’s opener.
box score

There is a reason Beilein recruited and took Brooks. And I think we are seeing why this year as X seems to not be ready and most of all the team needs two point guards at all times and combo guards to cover. Will be looking very close at Brooks senior year and anticipating information from work outs and open gym news next year.

1 Like

Here’s gametimepa.com Live Stream Schedule. Next spring grove game streaming is the 16th.

Dec. 16: William Penn at Spring Grove boys’ basketball
Jan. 6: Dallastown at Spring Grove boys’ basketball
Feb. 3: Central York at Spring Grove boys’ basketball

2 Likes

I’m really hoping that Eli has a great senior year of HS and continues to develop.

I think he is a legitimate “wildcard” to surprise a lot of people when it comes to garnering potential rotation minutes next year.

Here’s hoping he’s college ready to contribute from day one.

I love Eli, but I can’t imagine the level of competition this was against.

1 Like

Can I ask why you love him? What have u seen of him besides what went around here? Which was solid film but I’m just wondering

I really like Brooks too.
What I like best is his feel/touch on runners in the lane. He makes those look so easy, so effortless, and those are not easy shots. I think he will be a guy who can get off and make contested two’s in shot clock situations.
He also appears to be a willing passer, who understands the game and sees the court well.
He reminds me of a more athletic Spike Albrecht

Full caveats about lack of film/live looks aside, he reminds me of a less athletic Demetrius Calip–an undersized combo with scoring ability and a good feel for the game. Calip was a very good athlete, and got a cup of coffee in the NBA, so this is not a knock on Brooks at all. As noted in this thread, there will be some of his games live streamed (the first, tomorrow), and hopefully, we’ll be able to see more.