2017 - G - Jordan Poole (Commit)

I’m torn on this one.

I thought he was playing some really good ball at the end of 2015.

This past year, he was pretty brutal at times, though I know the back injury has had a huge impact.

The weird thing for me is that as a freshman, he was as advertised - a really good three point shooter. But early in his sophomore year, it just disappeared. And now, he often misses wide open threes, which is just fatal for our offense when we often make the extra pass to set that shot up perfectly.

I’m hoping he comes back with a really strong senior year.

1 Like

I just look at the list or Mr Basketball in Indiana and think Irvin falls short of the rest of the guys in prior years. Lyles, Harris, Zeller x3, Gordon, Thomas, Oden, maybe he’s better than Hulls or Luke Zeller but that’s over a decade.

I am not sure he has been a good #2 option his best role was a 6th man off the bench on an elite 8 team where there was very little expected of him. Larger the expectations the more mistakes he has made.

I would be happy if Irvin played 20-25 mins a game, didn’t chuck from the perimeter, didn’t try and show off his mediocre handle and try and be a glue guy. Instead he wants to try and be the show.

Jordan Poole headed to NBPA Top 100 camp.

3 Likes

Highlights of Jordan Poole in EYBL Hampton. Pretty much reflects what I’ve seen - Poole is very comfortable handling the ball and passing in space/transition, but in the halfcourt he’s been limited to catch and shoot and making plays off poor closeouts.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1676052-eybl-highlights-jordan-poole

1 Like

I’ve ben trying to think of a Michigan comparison for Poole, and the guy I see most (though it’s certainly not a perfect comparison) is Dion Harris. Dion had just under 1600 points and just under 400 assists in his Michigan career, and was third team All Big Ten as a senior. Poole is taller and a better pure shooter–Harris was stronger and a bit better athletically. Harris was miscast at PG through much of his senior year, something which will not happen with Poole.

I think “quality second option on a high functioning offense” is spot on.

1 Like

Regardless of the type of player Poole is when he gets here (although I think he is going to fit well), gotta love the way he representing Michigan. I have heard he is actively recruiting. He posted a video on Twitter last night about bringing another championship to Michigan. Seems like a quality kid. Also heard rumors that he is playing a role with Matthews. Very excited to get the kid on campus

2 Likes

What would the world be without Tim McCormick takes on UM players?

2 Likes

Waiting for him to say the next Glen Rice…

1 Like

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3513

2017 G Jordan Poole put together his best effort during the evening as well. The Michigan commit was efficient with both his production and decision making and he knocked in a few jumpers including a trey ball while also contributing on the defensive end of the floor.

I think that’s an underrated aspect – and why I have perhaps higher hope for Poole than others – he seems to have “it.” It’s hard to quantify, but he seems to have that confidence and enjoyment of competition. Late in an AAU game he hits three straight long distance 3s, or elevates his game at the NBPA camp, etc. Reminds me a bit of Nik in this way, and can go along way.

1 Like

I agree, I love this kid and having him on our team a few years will help out in many ways.

I’m very very excited for the Simpson & Poole years. If we can land some big gets around them I think we will be a force to be reckoned with in the B1G

1 Like

I enjoy Poole for those same attributes, but much like Nik, he doesn’t necessarily take pride on the other end of the court. One thing about Poole I absolutely love - he’s not afraid to engage in some smack talk and get in guys faces. He picked up a few Ts in EYBL for that. I know most don’t care for that sort of thing, but it shows competitive will IMO

1 Like

Jordan starting to pick it up at the Top 100 Camp–last 2 games averaging 13 ppg on 10-18 from the floor including 6-7 from 2, 4-11 from 3. Team is in the semis having now won 4 in a row.

1 Like

I can see Jordan needing to bring a little more of his attitude to the defensive side. I don’t mind yapping on the court, especially when, like with Nik, it is accompanied by class and good behavior off it.

1 Like

I like it too, UM needs more players with a little “tude” and moxie.

Some highlights of Poole from the NBA top 100 camp…highlights start at 2:10