2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

On your first point, the so-called ethics of pulling Duncan Robinson’s scholarship for Greg Elliott (if Bamba comes) is a wonderful academic discussion, but the hard truth is that Beilein has stated several times that he regards redshirts because of transfers differently than he regards redshirts taken for other reasons, and backed that up in the case of Zach Gibson, who was a borderline contributor but nonetheless got a fifth year because it had been promised to him as a result of the transfer. Thus, unless you think Beilein is getting fired or retiring after this season, and I think the chance of that is extraordinarily remote (regardless of what various posters might want or think we should do), I would be shocked if Duncan Robinson is told he doesn’t get a fifth year. By contrast, I would be shocked if Mark Donnal does get one–Beilein has shown no hesitation in not renewing for a fifth year kids who started at Michigan. So all this talk about whether Greg should get Duncan’s scholarship if Bamba comes is interesting, but implausible.

1 Like

Mathews, too, is a nice upgrade in athleticism. Hopefully he’ll develop enough skill to be a good offensive player for us.

Yes, I know what JB’s approach to roster management has been up until this point…but look where it has gotten him recently? The DR vs Greg debate is given a scenario where JB adjusts to address blatant issues with the roster instead of standing pat.

If DR stays then we simply hope someone makes a significant leap from catch and shoot or non shooter to lethal PnR player who can pass, handle, shoot. Really think the abundance of catch and shoot guys and taking AD will come back to bite if thats the plan. Bamba would make this team a tournament team but I don’t see a deep run even with him if this isn’t addressed.

Look, if we’re being candid, Michigan faces sizable deficits at every position on the court in some way, some bigger than others, with DJ likely being the closest thing to a legit B10 2 way player at this point.

We need considerable upgrades everywhere in order to get to the level we want to be at. You can potentially address those upgrades through recruiting/Creaning, or development.

I simply have no faith that Duncan Robinson will improve to the extent that we need through development as a senior, so id rather part ways, unlikely as that may be

I can totally see the argument for Greg potentially providing more utility than Duncan, both next year and when evaluating the (1 year DR + 3 years 2018 mystery recruit) vs (4 years Greg). But if you think Greg will be a “lethal PnR player who can pass, handle, shoot,” next year, that seems like a huge stretch.

Which is why I’m an advocate of playing the transfer market. But even as a freshman, Greg will be a better ballhandler, athlete, and defender than DR with just as good vision. He wouldn’t be All-BIG but he would help shore up some holes.

1 Like

I agree that the grad transfer market would most likely give us the best result, but there’s just no way JB pushes Duncan our for another transfer (or a 2017 recruit, IMO). I was just checking your expectations for Greg. I agree that he’d been an upgrade in all of those categories.

1 Like

@guestavo1

What would you project Elliot’s 3pt % to be at the college level? Is he an above average shooter?

30-35% his first few years then with a college regiment, instruction and repetition, I could see it rising.

I wouldn’t consider 30-35% above average, would you?

I’m not of the opinion that Greg comes in as a knockdown or above average shooter from distance. I do think he has solid form and that he will get better as a shooter as he grows into his body and gets comfortable with his long arms. Also, Greg is a guy who can and does get into his pull-up for shots…which should be distinguished from someone simply sitting in a corner or coming off screens getting assisted shots.

2 Likes

I’ll add this, why does shooting have to be limited to three point shooting? Seems rather dumb in my view.

There is no doubt Greg will come in as a good, not above average, midrange shooter, hypothetically

1 Like

Grad transfer market is the move this year if and when ( I’m not optimistic anymore) we whiff on bamba. Get that Jordan Mathews type grad transfer at pg or combo guard and suddenly we have an interesting and good team next year.

I do not see them dropping Duncan in a million Years unless it was bamba coming and being like I’m only coming if you take five star buddy so and so as a package. Only way I could see belein pulling his fifth year. Even then I don’t think he’d ever do it. He’s too good of a person.

I am not a huge Duncan fan by the way but I do believe his skill set is vital for next year. For once our rotation literally will have no catch and shoot three ball knock down shooter without hiM. Maybe Poole otherwise? That’s why I see Duncan playing a big role again next year again,

DJ, Wagner, Poole, Brooks, Livers and even Ibi can all excel at knocking and down catch and shoot jumpers.

You literally called him an above average shooter from 3.

Now I’m trying to see if guestavo agrees with that statement. Nothing dumb about the inquiry.

Not saying I didn’t, but can you provide evidence of me saying he’s an above average 3pt shooter specifically

I’m not sure.

Simple question: Do you think he is an above average shooter from 3?

Good grief guys. This personal back and forth, he said, she said in this post at this time crap is so petty. Can you spare us?

1 Like

If Elliot is a target, don’t you think it’s worth knowing if scout thinks he is truly an above average shooter from 3?

I do and I’m trying to get clarification on it. Thanks for your concern.