2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer)

In terms of just handles, I see some similarities between Cain and LeVert. Both have that really exaggerated outward swing before they cross the ball back over and use their length to keep it out of reach of the defender.

Thatā€™s an incredibly odd strawman. Iā€™ve never said anything of the sort.

He had one sloppy pickup off the 3rd dribble in the clip. The rest were under control. Of course there is a difference between Cain and a hall of famerā€™s dribble. For whatever reason, you suggested I couldnā€™t tell the difference between a cherry-picked Iverson/Crawford dribble and a somewhat random Jamal Cain clip. I was just making a general comment that a loose handle has itā€™s place and seems to be used pejoratively around here. I never said his handle was perfect. You went there, not me.

2 Likes

But Iā€™m not comparing his handle to Iverson. Iā€™m stating the simple fact that there is a difference between intentionally dribbling loose (seen in your clips) and unintentionally dribbling loose (seen in Cainā€™s clip).

You brought up that sometimes loose dribbles are intentional, and Iā€™m simply saying that it doesnā€™t appear to me that Cainā€™s was intentional.

Welcome back. That was a quick return. Iā€™m going to take this breakdown with a pallet of salt because youā€™re obviously emotionally invested in your analysis.

2 Likes

Cutting through the semantics debate:
Cain is a rising HS Senior. Clearly elements of his game will improve between now and the time he enrolles in College (wherever he selects). And clearly his game should continue to improve once a college coach gets a chance to work with him.

Are the weaknesses in his game teachable enough to improve to B1G standards?

Can Beilein and staff improve his ball handling to a point where he can attack B1G caliber wing-defenders off the dribble?

If the answers are ā€œyesā€ then his shooting and athleticism make Cain a worthwhile risk. If the answers are ā€œnoā€ then itā€™s probably better to move on to someone else.

1 Like

It is the nature of message boards to be hypercritical but at the same time, I think these things are way overblown.

Cain is a fine prospect, as is Smith, as is Livers, as is Young, etc, etc. We can compare this or that and I know there are some who are more interested in proving their ability to project players than they are just hoping UM fields a quality hoops team year in year out. It doesnā€™t always make for great reading but itā€™s the nature of the beast.

Cain is a good player by all accounts and I would not be bothered in the slightest if the staff decided to take Cain and shut down the '17 class. If they move on from Cain and go in a different direction, that is fine too as long as they believe they can fill a need.

1 Like

I actually like Cain too and would be very happy if he committed. I just donā€™t think he poops out golden nuggets or farts out Bennigans half off coupons. Pointing out a hole in his game really seems to rustle some jimmies for some reason.

1 Like

Cain was hoping to get more high major interest after summer AAU ball, but he hasnā€™t. Why?

1 Like

Coaches see the same thing Iā€™ve been saying for months. Jk. It is weird though, his final four isnā€™t impressive but he has a good chance to go to Marquette with 2 other upper tier freshman and be a nice role player along side them.

1 Like

Seems like the writing is on the wall that Cain wonā€™t be playing for Michigan, and best of luck to him if thatā€™s the case. From Michiganā€™s perspective, especially given the number of options at the small wing on the roster, itā€™s reasonable to keep one scholly open for Jackson or Bowen (or another late-occurring situation) or to use on Donnal and someone in the '18 class.

I think weā€™d have a better shot at him than Bowen or Jackson (heck, I think we have a better chance of working our way back in with Wilkes than we do with Bowen). Iā€™d like Cain and think he would still have a place in our class. We have a little more depth on the wings than we thought we would a couple months ago (with the addition of Matthews and positive reports re: Watson), so I guess it doesnā€™t sting as much if we donā€™t take Cain. But I think the potential depth we have would be good for him as he could use his freshman year as a spark plug off the bench and add a ton of weight before his role increased.

Best of luck to him if it is indeed over and Iā€™m sure heā€™ll be a solid player wherever he lands.

Iā€™m sure we would have have a better chance at getting Cain than Bowen or Jackson, but I donā€™t think weā€™re taking him anymore. I believe Webb said a little while back that there was one spot for Young/Livers/Cain/Smith and that the first to commit got it. I could be wrong, though, or things couldā€™ve changed. But Smith canceling his visit and these visits by Cain at least suggest that heā€™s not coming to UM, though the evidence is by no means conclusive.

I like Cain, but, like you say, with Matthews, Watson, Poole (and Livers), etc. in the '16 and '17 classes, the depth at Cainā€™s probable position is already pretty good.

Jerry Meyer recently picked Marquette as the landing spot for Cain. Seems like thatā€™d be a good choice for him. Couple others picked Marquette too.

Yeah donā€™t forget that Meyer also picked UM for Wilkes because he ā€œhad to move it off of IU.ā€ Now look who made his top 5? IU, and UM is missing. His CBs mean about as much as anyone on this board guessing IMO.

2 Likes

Coaches donā€™t see the same thing youā€™ve been saying for months, at all. He didnā€™t play in Peach Jam in July, hence they didnā€™t really get to see him.

Didnā€™t play in Peach Jam (The Family didnā€™t qualify), severely limited his ability to get exposure.

I donā€™t think weā€™re really in it for any of the big timers. Eastern is probably the one we have the best chance with and itā€™s slim at this point because he wants to play PG (which I think he could do in our offense despite commitments of X and Brooks) and probably doesnā€™t see that opportunity here.

Question becomes is Cain better than anyone we would take at wing (anyone we would take at the 2 or 3 position for this discussion) in the 2018 class. I think itā€™s fairly equal. I wouldnā€™t fault JB either way.

1 Like

Eastern is no longer an option. I donā€™t necessarily agree that the question is whether Cain is better than any of our 18 offers, the question is whether Jamal will be better as a sophomore than any 18 target that is a serious option, there is a distinction.