2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer)

With what seems to be a willingness to recruit with attrition assumed, any chance we still take Cain even with Smith committing (and still saving a spot for a stronger 4)? Or will it be truly either/or?

I think if Michigan were to land Cain or Smith the focus would probably shift heavily to landing a four man in the fall period.

From there you are technically full w/r/t scholarships and have essentially a five man class (including Matthews). Not sure they would take a second one of Cain/Smith in that spot, but probably continue recruiting guys like Wilkes, Bowen leading into the spring period.

5 Likes

Yea I’m worried for cains spot. I think smith lands that wing.

Has Cain always had that largely staggered stance in his jump shot and I haven’t noticed? He had a couple decent drives in that last video but in neither did he get up on the rim…he had to try a nifty kind-of up and under shots, one of which he made at the beginning. He’s definitely athletic. He’d be a nice addition.

MLive article on Jamal and his father’s death.

Can’t imagine Cain not being a take. Think our 17 recruitment will be over shortly.

Any correlation on the timing of this announcement with the Livers commitment?

Gotta think this is a Mich vs. Marquette battle.

Hey MattD, appreciate the scoop. I was a little surprised to not see Xavier on there; I believe you always had said Xavier was strong in this one. As an aside, Georgia has recruited the state of Michigan well the past few years so don’t be too quick to count them out.

Xavier’s full after receiving the commitment of a few top 100 wings

Brian Snow is just teeing off on how bad his handle is. I would never argue that it is elite, but it is certainly good enough. I have only seen him watch him 1 time.

Not saying his handle is bad, but it’s pretty loose in the clip you just showed us.

Cain dribbled side to side and took a long jumper from the same spot he first touched the ball. I’d like to see clips of more functional ball handling to beat defenders.

1 Like

If we’re being honest, his handle in the clip you just posted is loose.

If his handle in that clip is considered a positive, I’m even more concerned than before.

Losing battle? I like Cain. You just come off very biased when you can’t concede that his handle in the clip is loose.

1 Like

People on here seem to equate “loose handle” with poor ball-handling skill. I’m no expert but even a modicum of research reveals that is not the case. The crossover is the textbook loose-handle move. So saying Cain has a loose handle in that clip shouldn’t be an insult if you know what you’re talking about.

1 Like

If you can’t see the difference in the “loose” in the Cain clip and the “loose” in those crossovers then you simply aren’t looking.

So now you expect him to live up to Iverson & Crawford’s standard?

1 Like

In other words, yes there are “loose-handle moves”. That “looseness” is intentional and part of a move and/or deception. Unintentional “looseness”, as seen in that Cain clip, is something that should be worked on and hopefully corrected with drills. This isn’t a knock on Cain as there is a lot to like about his game, but let’s not pretend there aren’t areas for improvement.