2017 - F - Jamal Cain (Offer)

LOL!!! Watch your jokes MattD, people are going to start yelling why are we recruiting an A10 player!!

2 Likes

MAAR is a better SG than Wilson so Cain isn’t starting there.

We are hoping Matthews starts at the right? So Cain isn’t starting there.

I think Cain would have a better shot of beating out Wilson than MAAR. Have you seen Wilson play? He isn’t that good.

Is this a serious post or sarcastic, I can’t tell. So I won’t respond to it.

Which part?

Do you honestly think Wilson is better than MAAR?

Do you mean Watson?

No, he means Duane Wilson from Marquette.

1 Like

Hail,

Your prior comments regarding Marquette were deleted as was Mattd and my response to your comment. People probably think you are talking about DJ and not Wilson from Marquette.

1 Like

Thanks. Because I was totally lost.

1 Like

You are right gtfomc I was confused and thought he was referring to DJ.

I can see how people who didn’t see the deleted part would be extremely confused lol.

1 Like

Coaches checked in on Cain yesterday @MattD?

Yes, came to his HS yesterday

2 Likes

Cain to Marquette

I called it. It’s a great fit for him.

It didn’t seem like he was a priority after Matthews came on board. It will be interesting to see how he does.

1 Like

Staff cooled on him. Offer hadn’t been committable for awhile.

2 Likes

Could feel this one coming. He’ll be great at Marquette.

Thoughts on Cain.

Rightly or wrongly (and only time will tell on this), the staff never seemed 100% sold on Jamal. It took a long time before they scheduled visits and offered, and while certainly would have taken his commitment for a substantial period of time, once Matthews came, and then, for sure, once Livers committed, he seemed to be a low priority. And once Bamba decided to visit, his offer became non-committable.

You can say that Michigan didn’t show Jamal “the love,” and that may be true, but the other side of the coin is that Jamal had plenty of opportunity to commit to both Michigan and Xavier and chose to wait, hoping for more and better offers. I said this a few months ago–you can wait as long as you want if you’re a top 25 kid, but when you’re outside the top 50, you run the risk that waiting waits you out of places you want to go. It happened to Seth Towns last year, and it may have happened to Jamal this year.

Beilein does not call kids as much as many other coaches do. Some kids are good with that–both Livers and Brooks chose Michigan over earlier offers from their “dream schools” and mentioned their comfort level with Beilein and his recruiting approach–but many are not. I wish he would call more. However, I’m not sure that a manic, constantly calling Beilein would come off as genuine, and if not, I’m not at all sure he would do any better. In the end, you are what you are. The negative is that the kids who don’t warm to him right away go elsewhere. The positive is that those who do come and in almost all cases, turn into a cohesive group without off court issues.

One thing I will say–Detroit AAU coaches (and high school coaches) ripped JB before he even got here, poor mouthed him throughout Manny’s tenure, and have steered kids elsewhere without Beilein having done anything other than failing to prioritize THEM. It’s one thing to say we need to show players “the love” more–it’s quite another to get hit because guys who, in many cases, vastly overrate their own kids and themselves, are playing the “lack of respect” card. I want to get great players and compete for National Championships, but I’m really tired of the Detroit AAU scene and the way we’ve been treated by the power brokers there.

I wish Jamal all the luck in the world. I hope he finds what he’s looking for at Marquette.

5 Likes

Last night’s thread got out of control and had to clean up the mess. A few final takeaways on Cain:

• After Michigan landed Livers, it was pretty clear that Smith/Cain were no longer priorities. Smith’s visit didn’t happen and the contact with Cain (as MattD notes) slows.
  • Beilein watched Cain consistently through the April eval periods when he offered, but wasn’t watching him as much in July.
  • In the last week we’ve seen Beilein all over the place checking in on recruits, but I don’t think he visited Cain. An official visit was also never setup. That says a lot about the situation IMO.
  • Will the staff regret not taking Cain? Maybe, but it’ll be interesting to see how the situation plays out. It’s clear that they are after a super for the last ‘spot’ and think they have at least a legitimate chance at Bamba.
2 Likes