2017 - F - Isaiah Livers (Commit)

I’m with you. I wanted to keep pursing Young and Tillman as a pure 4. Will be really interesting to see what happens with that last scholly for next year. Hopefully we still have a good shot with Bamba.

1 Like

The three and the four are the same position for all intents and purposes on offense, but the much more obvious route to playing time next year for Livers is at the four as DJ’s backup.

The question defensively becomes who he is best guarding, but again given his size and skillset I think it makes sense to slot him in as a four when looking forward.

1 Like

tbh, I don’t see much chance for significant playing time for Livers next year. Unless Teske/Davis really disappoint and we decide to run small lineups with DJ at C in leiu of an actual backup center. Otherwise, there just aren’t minutes to go around.

1 Like

Or DJ Wilson goes to the league and then what happens to the frontcourt minutes?

2 Likes

This is the scenario I think we’re all silently fearing!

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fire up the NBA Draft hype machine

I think his athleticism will be a plus as a back up 4 and when the team has to go small ball. Currently small ball is DJ at the 5 and Duncan at the 4 which is not optimal as he gets bullied on the boards often. The real key to me is how Matthews fits into the team structure. Is he a 3 and shifts to the 4 on small ball or to the 2 to have what I would call long small ball. What ever, we are going to need Matthews and Livers to be ready to play some major defense with Zak gone as I see him as our best defender and it isn’t close.

Very true, if Wilson or Wagner leave after this season AND Bamba doesn’t come to UM, the minutes equation is a lot different next season. To some extent that’s where Livers and Poole are important to the program next season — as “safety nets” in case something unexpected occurs.

We’ll know in about a month what next year’s roster should look like and then we’ll have all summer to have fun playing around with different lineup permutations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

End of the road for Isaiah Livers, fell to Xavier TIllman and GR Christian in the state quarters.

Boys hoops: Tillman gets better of Mr. Basketball in state quarters

Love me some offseason workout highlights

9 Likes

I’d like to see livers get some ISO’s on the post. Not sure if Dylan has any stats on this but I feel like whenever livers gets down low he hits a very high percentage of turn arounds or gets a nice look. It’s just few and far between.

I kid you not, I feel like Livers will be the team MVP next year.

Simpson and Teske are very offensively limited. Our 3 top scorers are leaving, which leaves Livers as the primary scorer and primary wing defender - which he is capable of being.

1 Like

Hopefully he realizes this is his chance to be the man offensively. I personally think livers will be the three and Johns the four. I really think they’re going to come through. I hope johns can get comfortable so we can see his offensive talent shine through. He’s got an intriguing skill set that could be deadly in this offense if he can get there mentally.

6 Likes

it wouldn’t surprise me either. Johns should be a good fit at the 4 and Livers can play either position. Johns needs to make a big sophomore leap of course but we’ve seen a number of guys do that under JB.

He has more all around game than we have seen so far, if you look at some his high school tape he had some handles so this does not shock me.

Dang, Isaiah is working out with Micah Lancaster… that’s pretty legit. I know a lot of NBA guys, even some All-Stars, have worked out with him.

3 Likes

Oladipo, most notably.

1 Like

I do wonder if he could slim down 10 pounds or whatever and improve his handle and be a good scoring 3 for us. He has the jumper and showed a bit of a nascent pull-up game and some composure while driving.

At gunpoint I’d bet he’s our leading scorer next year, like Iggy was this year, with like 14 a game, very narrowly ahead of Teske going from 10 last year to 13 or so this year.

If I had to guess, I think Livers’ points goes up to 14 a game (and then leaves for the NBA).

Simpson’s production stays where it’s at, Teske improves by two or three points, and then we see a good amount of point production from a combo of Wilson/Johns/Eli/DDJ, with the rest going towards Castleton/Nunez.