2017-18 Bracketology

Serious shot Texas ends the regular/ conference tournament season with 14-15 losses.

Not surprising with Shaka diagramming plays.

If they win one more game, they should finish in the top 75.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Texas.html

2 Likes

Ucla win is looking better.

How many teams from the Pac 12 are expected to make the tourney? According to kenpom, it’s the worst power 6 conference since the infamous 2012 Pac 12. Somehow, the difference between the 5th best conference and the 1st best (B1G and Big 12, respectively) is smaller than the difference between the B1G and the Pac 12. It sucks that one of our key non conference wins is being hampered by being in there.

2 Likes

It has not been fun being a Shaka-by-proxy fan this year. Their defense is good enough that they should get another win or two by the end of the year and still be e quadrant one win. They’re projected to win two more games for what it’s worth.

Although being a Steve Alford fan is also no huge joy. UCLA has a bunch of winnable but quality games left, so that win too could look better. They probably won’t climb up to 30 but every little bit helps.

1 Like

Great point on Pac 12 - and yet I haven’t heard one media member proclaiming how “down” that conference is while the Big 10 gets blasted on a daily basis despite having 3 top 10 teams

2 Likes

The Big Ten being down wouldn’t be an issue if the good teams played each other more often. They also probably wouldn’t be ranked as higher because polls are so dependent on moving up/down based on wins/losses in any given week.

Regarding being slotted at 8/9, this year, is it really much of a difference between the 1- and 2- seeds as it is most years? I mean, I don’t really want to play MSU or Purdue in the 2nd round, but would be fine with anyone else in that top 16.

1 Like

I want to avoid Villanova but I don’t think there’s any teams anywhere better than Purdue and MSU so that’s a good point.

Cincinnati, Texas Tech, Auburn, Clemson are all in play for a 2-3 seed and the difference between Virginia, Villanova and them is a big one in my opinion.

1 Like

I think osu is a really good team. Obviously preseason projections were wrong. They’re very good, I’m not sure we’ve fully solved switching d, wessen down low, z is a ft liability, not optimistic about that game.

Hoping I’m wrong though.

Agreed…I think most if not all of the 2 seeds will be vulnerable. 7 seed would be good. 8 and we’re one-and-done.

1 Like

I think Michigan has a really good shot to end up with a solid seed if it can win 2 of these last 3 and get to Saturday in the Big Ten Tournament (i.e. beat ILL/MINN type team and NEB). That would probably end up all being good wins and at least a couple of Q1s. That scenario would end up with Michigan’s RPI in the low 20s most likely.

Obviously a lot of hoops to play. A 2-1 finish down the stretch would position things well.

3 Likes

Fun link: http://barttorvik.com/bubble-guide.php?team=Michigan

1 Like

how do you interpret that?

There was more there yesterday, more like this for Nebraska: http://barttorvik.com/bubble-guide.php?team=Nebraska

Cool to see how different teams can influence someone’s chances.

On this point: http://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?rank=19&team=Michigan&year=2018&bracket=1&North_FloridaMichigan11-11=A&Central_MichiganMichigan11-13=A&Southern_MissMichigan11-16=A&LSUMichigan11-20=A&ChaminadeMichigan11-21=A&VCUMichigan11-22=A&UC_RiversideMichigan11-26=A&MichiganNorth_Carolina11-29=A&IndianaMichigan12-2=A&MichiganOhio_St_12-4=A&UCLAMichigan12-9=A&MichiganTexas12-12=A&DetroitMichigan12-16=A&Alabama_A_MMichigan12-21=A&JacksonvilleMichigan12-30=A&MichiganIowa1-2=A&IllinoisMichigan1-6=A&PurdueMichigan1-9=A&MichiganMichigan_St_1-13=A&MarylandMichigan1-15=A&MichiganNebraska1-18=A&RutgersMichigan1-21=A&MichiganPurdue1-25=A&NorthwesternMichigan1-29=A&MinnesotaMichigan2-3=A&MichiganNorthwestern2-6=A&MichiganWisconsin2-11=A&IowaMichigan2-14=A&Ohio_St_Michigan2-18=W&MichiganPenn_St_2-21=W&MichiganMaryland2-24=W&x1_type=Post&x1_loc=N&x1_team=Iowa&x1_res=W&x2_type=Post&x2_loc=N&x2_team=Nebraska&x2_res=W&x3_type=Post&x3_loc=N&x3_team=Ohio+St.&x3_res=L&x4_type=&x4_loc=&x4_team=&x4_res=&x5_type=&x5_loc=&x5_team=&x5_res=

Winning out the regular season and then two wins in the BTT would make us a projected 5 per BartTorvik. He has us as a 9 right now.

1 Like

So right now, Michigan’s final three games are all Q1 games. Problem is that when you lose at home, you drop a long way in the RPI. Michigan winning either of those road games could push PSU/MD to sub-75.

This Arizona/Arizona State game is a good example of the bracketology debate of late. Take MSU for example… I don’t have any doubt that Michigan State is good enough to win at Arizona State and probably would. The problem is that they have only played one road game against a top-30 team.

We’ll see how long Wisconsin stays there, but Michigan also picked up a quadrant two win tonight.

7 Likes

Texas has opened up a 13 point lead against Oklahoma with about 8 minutes to go. Pretty much a “must win” for Texas as Oklahoma’s slide may continue.

1 Like