2016/17 Commitment Updates

1991 - Chris Webber gave Laettner the precise look you speak of…as a freshman. I loved it

Classic! And if the look didn’t say it, Rose pointing and barking at him did!

1 Like

Those looks were just how Metro Detroit played ball. You played with a mean streak because you had to. There was no hugging before and after games. The ball went up and you either went at it or were eaten alive. This I wouldn’t trade playing in the mega red. The type of basketball that was played taught me so much.

He was awful. My senior year, Ray Jackson would yell from the court to Fisher to take Willie out of the game.

This is the exact reason why Kobe will always be my favorite…the guy just refuses to lose at all costs. That competitive fire is something I truly admire about him.

Yeah, I have no idea why he was so highly touted. A 6’8 midrange shooter with limited athleticism, no handle, and no post moves.

Mark Harris - Flint Central. One of the most dynamic little man scorers in state history. Thing of beauty jump shot rivaled only by Sweet Terry Duerod and Glen Rice.

His HS team won three consecutive state titles ( Turner - UM, Embry - DePaul ) and he went for 44 in championship game vs Murray-Wright. Still state record I believe.

Ended up at a JC in Kansas because of grades. Hard to believe both Flint Central and Flint Northern are shuttered now. Immense talent once flowed in that city. Unbelievable.

Always liked Rashad Phillips as an undersized player too. If he was 6` 2`` would have been major recruit. So quick and great range.

His ability to shoot either off the bounce or catch and shoot was just ridiculous. Thought he would be the second coming of Earl Boykins…just never worked out that way.

Oops. Meant 6’ 2"

Another player that I thought would end up developing into a good college player was James Theus (King). A bit bigger than Rashad, was quick laterally, had good verticality, nice range on the shot…went to Syracuse for a year and then back home to UDJ. Thought he would be better

Sorry for getting off the topic of the thread, but it was a nice trip down memory lane. GO BLUE tomorrow fellas!

Yeah, my apologies…I was the ringleader when asking ‘best talent to not pan out’

4 Likes

Extremely impressive. I thought Ward would take it. I guess Gahanna is out. Would be great for X to get a championship on top of this honor. Wonder what Eleven Warriors will make of this – hopefully a minor meltdown will ensue there. Congrats to Xavier.

Anyone hear of Matt Chastain, 2016 wing out of Illinois? His highlight video looks pretty good, and he just got offered by Utah. We’re probably not looking for a wing, but I like him better than Ibi

Onsted up 5 at half

Onstead up 2 at the end of 3

Tie game at 44, 3mins left

How’s our boy looking?