2016/17 Commitment Updates

Here’s t hoping for no more lackadaisical play, we seem to have lots of that on our current roster. Updates would be greatly appreciated again :slight_smile:

Understood. I think though, that you unintentionally ended up making a different point, which is that we need a massive infusion of athleticism, particularly in the front court.

1 Like

Oh ok gotcha. No I didn’t mean that. Since our perimeter defense is horrible, having a shot blocker would reduce the amount of drives against us. A shot blocker is needed on this current roster with how it’s constructed.

I believe Davis starts Districts tonight? Does Ibi play tonight as well?

New film on Jon Teske

The Good - shotblocking as usual, he just has the natural gift of being able to time a shot, and then block it without fouling. Also, superb passing for a big…elite passing for 7footer that is in HS. Also does a great job keeping the ball high when catching the entry pass in the post, he’s able to avoid getting the ball stolen by smaller players. Not a lot of extra movement either, he gets it, turns over the shoulder and looks to finish all in one motion.

The Not So Good - his ball pursuit/box outs leave a lot to be desired, just not physical enough IMO. Also, his closeouts (or lack of) were very poor, he closed out very soft and was burned by pick and pop action probably 5-6 times. What’s more bothersome is that he didn’t even make an adjustment after he was burned the first 2-3 times.

I think Teske will be a nice role player for us down the line, but its going to take 2-3 years. It will take at least a year before he’s physically ready for the B10 from a pure strength/muscle standpoint. Will take at least an additional year before he has the requisite intensity/motor to be effective.

1 Like

Looks like another project with his ceiling being an average player and the floor being him not playing at all like Wagner. I am obviously hoping he becomes a good player but I feel bad to a long shot for him to be a good/plus player. Maybe beilein is hoping that of the 6 we have in our team next year, one will be good and one can be decent. We have a lot of work for that to happen.

He just looks so awkward

I found the teske video encouraging. Anybody else?

You realize we play in the big ten right? It’s goin to take quite a bit for this guy to be serviceable

1 Like

Have you ever seen Doyle/donnal high school videos? He is not better than they were and look what they are.

Is anybody honestly excited about the future? Looking at these highlight films just doesn’t bring optimism in my eyes.

Not me. I can see 10-8 or 9-9 big ten next year again. It’s like we are recruiting to dominate the horizon league or something. Although, those teams probably play harder than we do. We just got to keep hoping a miracle happens this offseason. Maybe thon maker and josh Jackson will show up on campus next year lol

1 Like

This is the first time I’ve really watched Teske play. There are some really good things and there are some average things. Just like with any 17 year old 7 footer.

The Good: There is a fire there. You can tell he has the will win. He obviously is very good at blocking shots. He did a good job of sealing inside. It’s not the easiest thing to get the ball consistently when there are two defenders around you. Most HS guards can’t make that pass.

The Average: Pick and roll coverage. I’m going to disagree with Matt here to an extent. He clearly gave up a few perimeter shots but that could be the team’s pick and roll coverage, not necessarily Teske’s fault. Most HS don’t have multiple coverages that they can go to. He tried to stop ball on all of those perimeter shots. I’ll give him a pass on this one.

Areas of Concern: Strength. It’s obvious he needs to get stronger to be able to hold up against the Big Ten. His core strength is probably my biggest concern. He has to get a lot stronger in that area.

Well if he can be a plus defender, he should play right away. I do not see him being better than Doyle or Wilson next year. Wagner is still a giant question mark as he seems years off from really contributing. It’s a giant mystery as to what will happen next year.

The fact Jamal Cain is ranked near 200 is a little worrisome. I’m not sure a player ranked that low can be a must get. Top 50 guys should be must gets and these guys should be backup options. We are seeing what happens when we have 200+ ranked guys are on our roster. There are reasons they are ranked where they are, and they help lead us to a bottom half finish in the big ten. I don’t see much from this 16’ class besides Simpson. I hope the other 3 don’t clog up our scholarships for the strong 17’ class. We need at least 2 more big time guys for 17’ to come with Poole.

I like his shot blocking obviously, but nothing else. Hopefully he figures out how to move and use his body brtter. Maybe he can get his game to say hAss’s level.

I disagree. I think beilein is holding Wagner back. I think if he were allowed to play through mistakes that he would already be a Good back up.i think he will be ready to go next yeAr. To me even when he misses his footwork and moves downlow are way ahead the others.

Ranked #70 by Rivals. The rest of the sites just haven’t seen him play because they don’t have Detroit based scouts. Essentially the other sites only get to see kids that play at bigger AAU events

Hoops - good point about the coaching approach on PnR - this could very well be true.

Have to disagree about the ‘fire’ though, at least to the extent that it simply doesn’t translate to his effort level. His ball pursuit and box outs leave LOT to be desired.

1 Like

So much to play out yet, but I can not envision a scenario where either Teske or Davis is a significant contributor next year. Seems a very good chance that Teske is the RS candidate.

How much longer can we continue to recruit projects who essentially spend 2-3 years on the pine before they get any playing time? Damn, when do we get somebody who’s ready to play right away?

1 Like