2016/17 Commitment Updates

Ibi will be solid in 3 years. Expecting him to contribute immediately is setting the kid up for failure.

I donā€™t see a whole lot of promise in him honestly. Most people in the country donā€™t either considering heā€™s ranked outside of 200

I expect the kid to be a depth guy to start and be that way for most of his career.

1 Like

Itā€™s a damn shame. We have no shot blocker. Why do we continue to recruit guys who are poor on the perimeter defensively

Because Michigan Basketball is defense optional.

Itā€™s a shame thereā€™s no accountability to try and correct that. A shot blocker does wonders for poor perimeter defense yet we recruit scrubs.

Teske is a pretty good shot blocker. Try mixing in some footage once in awhile.

Davis blocks 3 shots a game in high school Iā€™ll bet you 100$ right now he never averages 1 block a game at Michigan.

Since when is Austin Davis or Jon Teske the same person or player, nor when did I bring up Austin Davis?

I bet you there are others with an actual informed opinion that will agree that Teske at a minimum will be a competent shot blocker at this level. If you would have asked about how much offense or or rebounding you will get out of Teske, I may have had a different answer. You asked about a shot blocker. I offered Teske. You offer a bet on Austin Davis?

Teske plays competent competition once in awhile so the opinion is informed.

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ I like some of the things Teske can do as a shot blocker and maybe even as a PNR hedge with his length and surprising lateral ability. Really worried about him on the glass though.

As for Davis ā€“ obviously the stats are inflated, and I would argue that you should rarely cite HS stats in any circumstance ā€“ heā€™s probably the better roll, catch and finish type of big right now and more physical body for rebounding, but wonā€™t have the verticality to block shots.

Ibi and Xavier in the OHSAA Sweet 16 coming upā€¦

Lima Senior and Xavier Simpson will play Lorain on Wednesday at University of Toledo. Pick Central and Ibi Watson will play Westerville South on Wednesday at Ohio Dominican University.

Medina was knocked out by Brunswick 51-39. Kyle Young (2017 Offer) and Jackson fell to Canton McKinley (51-47).

Was hoping I didnā€™t have to explain this. Since I do, the point I made was it doesnā€™t matter what these kids do in high school for the most part. Davis blocks a lot of shots but he wonā€™t be doing that at Michigan, teske might. I hope teske is good, he just needs to put on some weight. Davis I donā€™t see much of anything happening in his future. I truly hope Iā€™m wrong, just doesnā€™t look good in my eyes.

Again, what did I ever say about Austin Davis? Dylan basically confirmed my opinion on Teske. I bet you othera would too.

1 Like

Teske has better potential to be a shot blocker because he is taller and longer, but that does NOT mean he will come in and be a good shot blocker. I used Davis a reference, do I really need to say that? Dylan also believes donnal is a good big man. if anyone thinks thatā€™s true, there is no hope for this program. He gets stats because we play 1pg, 3 sg, and 1 center. All 4 of our big guys could get Donnalā€™s stats if they played his 25+ minutes. So if you agree Dylanā€™s big man assessment then fine, but I do not.

I think itā€™s a fruitless conversation as he canā€™t seem to stay on topic.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I want teske to be good. But thereā€™s a reason he is ranked outside the top 100. Correct?

I didnā€™t bring Dylan into this.

Actually we really donā€™t. Aubrey is about the only guy who can/ will dunk it comfortably. We are seriously lacking in athleticism.

2 Likes

Point was, him purely being athletic isnā€™t going to win us any games. If he was a game changer, he most likely would be rated 200+.

Iā€™ll be at Xavierā€™s game on Wednesday night against Lorain Catholic. I have no idea how good Lorain is. They donā€™t seem to appear in any D1 polls, but they did breeze through their bracket. Itā€™s the Elyria district, so not a ton of good basketball from there, I donā€™t believe.

Iā€™m looking for Lima and Xavier to put together a full game. They went through their district sleep walking and didnā€™t really play all that well. I want Xavier to have one of those games which he is capable of having. Iā€™m assuming if they win, theyā€™ll play Canton McKinley for a spot in the Final Four, as I would assume theyā€™d beat Brunswick.

1 Like