Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

Who else could it be though. X and Matthews have not proven to be skilled enough to do it. DJ and Mo are bigs and it is tough to have the ball in a bigs hands majority of the game. Duncan has proven to struggle creating for himself although he did diversify his game.

We are going to need X to step up and be what Walton was his first and beginning of his second year and get the offense going. I am hoping he is better at attacking the basket showing a good floater as I think teams will make him prove he can score.

We donā€™t have anybody now who can reliably shoot long range shots off the bounce as they curl around a screen for exampleā€¦Yet our offense is functioningā€¦

I think we will have to freshman who will have that ability (Poole and Brooks) but you know freshman. This is why I feel the first option is to try for a grad transfer if no Bamba who has those skills but also the ability to attack the rim. Zak is that person for the team right now but to me its more or only efficient inside the arc.

I think I had similar worries earlier in the year. I was thinking it was crucial that either X, MAAR, Poole or Brooks take over the dynamic playmaker role that Levert, Morris, Stauskas and Burke played so well. My thought is shifting a bit because we are winning without that type of playerā€¦In other words, I donā€™t see a big difference between MAARā€™s playmaking skillset and Irvinā€™s or Waltonā€™s. None of them are great playmakers but MAAR, in my mind,is probably able to be just as adequate as Walton and probably more adequate than what Irvin has provided this yearā€¦

Maybe Brooks or Pool would be better I donā€™t know.

1 Like

I think the bigger question on all this is who will be the end of game go-to guy? Whoā€™s the guy who can get his own shot or create at the end of the shot clock? Who takes the big shot? Who quiets a teamā€™s opposing run?

I think itā€™s critical the team has that one person to go to in these situations. The team knows thatā€™s Walton now. It could be Irvin too, but when he was struggling and Walton wasnā€™t the lead guy, thatā€™s when the team couldnā€™t hold their leads.

I have no concerns at all about Beilein having a successful offense without an alpha dog. In my opinion, this team will be good enough to spread the wealth. Theyā€™ll have tons of options like everyone has said.

You donā€™t see any difference between MAAR and the two seniors? I donā€™t think MAAR has shown much when it comes to seeing the floor or finding a teammate. Iā€™m not really that worried about it though, I think Simpson has a take charge personality that will continue to emerge as his confidence grows.

I really donā€™t see a big difference. I think Irvin sees the floor better than DW and MAAR but often lacks the technical skill and athleticism to complete the plays. Walton does not see the floor well at allā€¦

Walton has been directing the team pretty well that last month and in a way the MAAR could never accomplish as I see it.

Itā€™s amazing what can happen to your percentages when you take good shots! Loving it.

1 Like

Spoke too early. Zak sitting at 4 of 13 (.308) from the field and 1 of 6 (.167) from three.

2 Likes

Last game was more aberration to me then anything. Itā€™s clear to me his best role is role player. Love his defense, love his vision. I like his driving ability. A shooter he is not. His decision making is still very poor.

6-8 shots a game is the best situation. Open threes, slashing to the rim. Best situation for us.

1 Like

Lol, even when he takes good shots he misses them wildly. Itā€™s almost like heā€™s just not a good shooter!

Walton, MAAR, Irvin, DJ, Wagner= Zak is the fifth option.

Walton, Robinson, Irvin, DJ, Wagner= Zak is the fifth option.

Walton, Robinson, Irvin, DJ, Donnal= Zak is the fifth option.

Walton, x, Irvin, DJ, Wagner= Zak is the fourth option. (Barely.)

1 Like

I guess we all have our favorites. To me itā€™s always been clear his decision making was very iffy and his freshman year shooting was an aberration. I just hope coach b can sit him down or Derrick ( you see derricks reaction on his 3 in ot? Not the first time heā€™s reacted this way too) and get him to see where his value is. If he can embrace that defender energy role it will do wonders for our offense/ team.

Agreed. I donā€™t want to beat him up. He has a lot of value. In his head I think he thinks heā€™s a go to weapon. Iā€™m glad his confident but it be fool hardy to an extent. Just hope everyone adjusts.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if his freshman year shooting was an aberration. I think he had a unique shot that involved started to the side and spinning it sideways rather than straight back and I think it worked for him. Beilein said after that season that they were going to work on his form and since then heā€™s had a still odd push type shot and heā€™s gone 32.6% from three over 3 seasons and more than 450 attempts. Sometimes itā€™s better to go the ā€œif it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€ route.

1 Like

I guess I missed a lot of games that year. Iā€™d have to watch the release. Man he was knock down.

Good point. His shot form actually changed a lot after his Freshman year. oops.

His shot was weird as hell.