What's next in 2016?

I’d be pretty surprised if Winston didn’t play a minimum of 3 years in colege.

Yeah I don’t really see Winston as a potential 1 and done, more like a Monte Morris type of point guard in the sense that he will be really good, but be around for a while. (Not trying to really compare their games beyond that.)

Cassius Winston isn’t nearly athletic enough to go 1-and-done. Guys who go the 1-and-done route almost always have athleticism that far outpaces their skill, rather than vice-versa.

Cassius Winston isn't nearly athletic enough to go 1-and-done. Guys who go the 1-and-done route almost always have athleticism that far outpaces their skill, rather than vice-versa.

Although Trey Burke was almost the exception to that rule. Tyus Jones probably qualifies as well.

Well I never considered Trey Burke a one and done type kid, but it nearly happened.
I do think Trey Burke was better coming out of HS than Winston, but haven’t seen enough of Winston to be confident of my opinion.
I think Winston is probably a 4 year player.

People seem really sold on Winston being the solution worth waiting the duration for, but I'd go hard at Jamal Murray and at least put out feelers on Dennis Smith. We're in the drivers seat right now and can create a bit of leverage. Might as well try to hit home runs now. At the worst it may create some urgency in recruits that would otherwise drag this out for another year.

Separately if Langford is as warm to us as some have said, I don’t know how you don’t continue to invest in his talent. I agree that more than one scholarship could come free and also that waiting to 2017 is an option at PG. I don’t think you let another top 15 guy cool off. I think you have to push harder.

Swinging for the fences with Langford, Murray, and even Dennis Smith. I think you might be on to something.

Tyler Ennis wasn’t drafted because he was an all-world athlete. Shane Larkin went after two years and isn’t in the dunk contest. Melo Trimble could probably have went this year. That said, the general principle holds pretty true.

However, based on Michigan’s roster and history with guards and wings, a '16 or '17 PG at Michigan could have a very good shot at showing his skills off and setting himself up to leave early. Point is, I think you expect a guy like Winston to not be a one-and-done, but you don’t want to be shocked if he doesn’t stay the full four years.

Not sure why there’s so much Dennis Smith talk here. Don’t see that one going anywhere.

Murray they’ve been involved with, I would expect that to continue. But his recruitment also has a lot of variables (see earlier in this thread).

As for Langford, I don’t think they’ll slow down on him but I also think the schools that missed on Battle will really start to prioritize him. Would you add Langford to the mix? Obviously, you don’t say no to that sort of talent. But the more realistic focus is going to be on finding a PG of the future.

Tyler Ennis wasn't drafted because he was an all-world athlete. Shane Larkin went after two years and isn't in the dunk contest. Melo Trimble could probably have went this year. That said, the general principle holds pretty true.

However, based on Michigan’s roster and history with guards and wings, a '16 or '17 PG at Michigan could have a very good shot at showing his skills off and setting himself up to leave early. Point is, I think you expect a guy like Winston to not be a one-and-done, but you don’t want to be shocked if he doesn’t stay the full four years.

Off base on Larkin. He had a 44 inch vert.

Yeah, you can’t assume Winston will be here for 4. A couple years at Camp Sanderson…

I see Winston as an Appling or McCallum level PG – like those, an excellent PG and multi-year college player. But still would prefer Goodin for defence and as an athletic complement to Battle.

Just “4” fun, how do you like this rotation:

Walton (Sr) / Goodin (Fr)
Langford (Fr) / MAAR (Jr)
Battle (Fr) / Dawkins (Jr)
Irvin (Sr) / (Good) Chatman (Jr)
Doyle (Jr) / Teske (Fr)

With Wilson, Wagner, Chatman all on the roster… I have a hard time seeing Irvin playing the four as a senior. Especially with the progress he showed down the stretch last year.

Just "4" fun, how do you like this rotation:

Walton (Sr) / Goodin (Fr)
Langford (Fr) / MAAR (Jr)
Battle (Fr) / Dawkins (Jr)
Irvin (Sr) / (Good) Chatman (Jr)
Doyle (Jr) / Teske (Fr)

Would be a damn good offensive team, and for once would probably be pretty strong defensively, at least at the 1-3 spots. Defintely would be the most athletic team Beilein has had. Would still struggle with interior defense and rebounding though most likely. Irvin did make some strides there though at the end of last year, so hopefully he can keep progressing in that regard. I don’t think Teske will be quite ready as a true frosh, he could really use a redshirt year to add some weight. But long term I love Teske’s ability to alter shots. He’ll be able to help solve a lot of the defensive issues that have plagued Beileins teams here.

Tyler Ennis wasn't drafted because he was an all-world athlete. Shane Larkin went after two years and isn't in the dunk contest. Melo Trimble could probably have went this year. That said, the general principle holds pretty true.

Off base on Larkin. He had a 44 inch vert.

I stand corrected on Larkin.

Also, sometimes how good or bad an athlete is gets overstated on boards, especially for guys look smooth. Not commenting one way or another about Winston specifically.

Dylan, my only point on Langford/Murray/Smith is that we now have the luxury of 1) class talent already locked in, and 2) 12m time to be picky, both of which are things that others can’t claim - for the time being anyway. We should aim high, and much much higher than waiting 12m to “maybe” get Cassius. Doors that appeared closed previously may now potentially be open with Tyus now included, and they should be pursued. PG clearly a structural priority, but all options esp with wing 5stars… there may be no better time than now to tip the scales with some of these guys. don’t think we disagree, but you may just view this as all unrealistic or non-pragmatic. My point is that we have the time/positioning to be aggressive even if its not likely.

This discussion has come a long way since they picked up Spike. I’m still amazed that he is not only a D1 player but gives quality minutes and has a great A/TO ratio. The bar has been raised for PG that’s for sure!

Whoever comes in will have many opportunities to shine…Battle changed the game!

there was some talk on xavier simpson in one of these threads…sounds like he’s somewhat close to a decision. Sounds like Xavier is the prohibitive favorite. Xavier is also supposedly in CJ Walkers top 2 and I think they’re in Goodin’s top 5.