Video: Phil Martelli talks Juwan Howard suspension, new role

I’ve been in sales for 10, yet my gpa sends me motivational and sales tips videos at least once a week. I hope you know that as many times as your son rolls his eyes at the videos you send him, he watches every one and loves you immensely for thinking of him.

3 Likes

First, thank you for the very kind sentiment and comment. Second, I’m about to talk about fathers and sons, or at least MY son and a mention of MY father. There may be a bunch of folks who came on here to read about the Martelli video and NOT Silverblue’s philosophy of fathering, so, it that’s the case for anyone PLEASE, just scroll on by.

So, here we go, he (my son, doesn’t really roll his eyes. Not anymore anyway. He’s 47 years old and he’s had “me” for a dad for a long time. He had me as a coach in both basketball and golf and he’s endured, and I hope taken to heart, all of the lessons I’ve taught, life lessons, along with the skills of basketball and golf. So, he knows. What a GREAT combination THAT is, by the way, to be privileged to coach basketball and golf, WOW! And then to coach your son in both, not always easy, but so fulfilling!

He also knows I have more respect for him than ANY man I know now that his grandfather, my dad, has passed. My dad, quite honestly was the greatest gentleman I 've ever known. My son lives in Los Angeles, Huntington Beach, actually, and I almost never see him anymore, but we talk A LOT! I used to call my mom, every day, when she was in her nineties, before she passed away at 97. I would call her either while on my walk or from the car when I was driving to pick up my granddaughter from school (about a 20 minute drive). I really had nothing else to do, and it was a great time to talk to mom, but she never knew that she really wasn’t the center of my life during those calls, but that it was a convenient time for me. My son calls me three or four times a week, on his drive home from work! Hmmm…convenient!:wink:

I know I’m not really the center of his life at that time, either, he’s just windin’ down from work and calling the “old man,” but that’s OK, he calls…and we talk. And if he wants to talk, I listen. If he’s looking for advice which he usually is NOT, but if he is, I’ll gently offer. I mean REALLY gently. In fact sometimes I just say in my counselor voice, “Well, how do you feel about that?” or “What are you thinking you might do about that?” Reall gentle like, and non-judgemental. And here’s the thing, he tells me he appreciates it! It’s those times wheen he doesn’t have much to say that I have to carry the conversation, but I think anyone reading this knows I CAN do that! :wink: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Anyway, thanks, again, for the kind sentiment. As for rolling eyes, when I taught, kids would roll their eyes at me occasionally, and I’d look back at them and say, “Oh Yeah! Well, I can do that, too!” And I’d roll my eyes at them! Pretty soon we’d all be laughing! Teaching and coaching, GREATEST profession ever! :heart:

And NOW, let’s get ready for tonight’s game! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Now THAT was a great team performance! Go Blue! :blue_heart:

2 Likes