Video: Olivier Nkamhoua hits four threes in World Cup tuneup

yeah, each football recruit each years gets a “YMRMFSPA.” it’s about style of play, not necessarily outcome - though obviously they don’t break out, like, Charles woodson very often. it’s a mix between style and ceiling, I guess.

This honestly is what captures my comparison of Sheed.

Yeah, I like to think I’m pretty measured, and I’m not saying ON is the caliber of Sheed who was a top 5 pick lol. There are probably hundreds of better comparisons out there, and I don’t recall the sets that the UNC offense was running in '94/95 lol. But they just seemed like similar builds that also seem to show a pretty good IQ to find open spots, when to score, when to post, etc. and sneaky good defense. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

In fairness to Dylan, I think he’s considerably better than many of us (me, certainly) at naming somebody that represents something like the median outcome of the guy we’re trying to find a comp for. Like, I won’t have Isaiah Thompson at the ready–I could find his KenPom page without trying very hard but not tell you how he played without getting there. I can eventually remember Foster Loyer for fairly obvious reasons. But that’s a much more limited player pool to draw from and makes our (my) comps look not so good.

(But TJD is a good physical comp to ON)

2 Likes

Some stuff on Finnish politics and a bunch of other stuff but interesting (translated) quotes from Olli’s coach on the national team:

HEAD COACH Lassi Tuovi praises the importance of Nkamhoua’s size, movement and physicality in Finland’s defensive game.

“The physicality that “Olli” brings is something extraordinary. The strength is that he can do so many things defensively. He can switch to the back man on screens or take a big basket underneath.”

According to Tuovi, Nkamhoua is able to handle situations on his own in a different way than others due to his versatility.

“He moves really well for his size, and with the number of games and experience it will get even better. He also frees up other players to do other things in defense,” says Tuovi.

5 Likes

Some nuance lost here. If you understand Finnish you’ll see that he compares Olivier to TJD.

9 Likes

How about Lauri Markkanen

No doubt. You will be misconstrued no matter how carefully and effusively you caveat. People can’t help themselves. The players could literally be carbon copies and someone will be like, “Yeah, but Player A’s Dad was left-handed, and Player B got a C- in algebra, so terrible comp.”

1 Like