The Evolution of Mark Donnal

I am still not sure the 3 is a good option, it helped against Maryland but he has only hit a 3 in 5 games this year. This is hardly an area where he should be considered a threat at this time.

Itā€™s a shot that teams are literally giving Michigan. If he can hit it around 40% it could really open things up.

3 Likes

Heā€™s much better inside the arc imo, yes theyā€™re giving him that shot because he only averages 1 shot like that per game and hits 33%. In order to really open things up he would probably have to shoot it 3-4 times a game behind the arc. Considering his offensive rebounding rate why would you want him behind the arc?

1 Like

Maryland literally ignored Donnal at all costs and Donnal did make them pay. Watch how Maryland not only defended the PnR but how they defended the Wide Pin down screen.

If Donnal can consistently make that 3 then it does open up a ton. Like some have shown can he really do it?? Iā€™ve seen a lot of misses from him outside of 15 feet.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I mean if heā€™s only hitting 33% how much more work would he need to put in to be a good shooter? He probably already puts in work but I would prefer he doesnā€™t fall in love with that shot. For example thatā€™s pretty much all we see from DJ Wilson is outside shots.

1 Like

I really think if they are going to continue to run the wide pin down the big setting the screen has to pop and shoot if he is open. If he misses a couple then donā€™t run it anymore.

Heck Donnal made a couple and they didnā€™t go back to it. So I think JB was also playing that same %

He hit his 3s at a pretty good clip in high school. He has a consistent, reproducible form. The 3s he is taking arenā€™t really contested, and heā€™s not off-balance coming off ball screens. I donā€™t think itā€™s that unreasonable to think that he can get close to 40%.

No one is suggesting that he should fall in love with the shot. But if he takes and makes them with enough frequency that causes opposing teams to play him tighter outside the 3-point line, it will really open up the floor.

Iā€™m not arguing that heā€™s close to knock down reliability yet, but heā€™s a 35% career three-point shooter. For a big man thatā€™s not bad at all. I donā€™t see any reason that he canā€™t get up around 40% by the end of his career and that would be a huge threat for the offense.

I believe Mark said on Sunday that Beilein tells him he wants him to make one three per game.

1 Like

Personally, Iā€™m not into being down on kids at all. Iā€™m sometimes shouting 1!@#$Doyle at the screen myself, but at the end of the day I take for granted that theyā€™re playing for my school and working their butts off. I just donā€™t think itā€™s a logical leap from Beilein fielding the best offenses in the country for several years running to assuming that a kid like Donnal is a strictly off-the-bench player. In fact, I donā€™t think itā€™s a stretch to him being in the conversations as one of the best bigs in the conference before itā€™s all over. Heā€™s not ever going to get a lot of rebounds because thatā€™s not how they play. But they are third in the conference, according to Dylan, in D rebounds. And that was FIVE blocks Donnal had against MD. A team with a couple of good big guys.

If the standard of reference remains an MSU style hard-banging big guy we are going to keep hearing the same criticisms until 2021.

Four Michigan players have scored 25 or more points in a game this season. Abdul-Rachman and Walton have each done it once and LeVert and Donnal have both done it twice.

2 Likes

okayā€¦ What is your conclusion?

Iā€™m confused why some seem to want to rain on the Mark parade. If you canā€™t just cleanly admit that heā€™s improved his play over the season, Iā€™m not sure what else to tell you.

3 Likes

The poster doth protest too much, me thinksā€¦

1 Like

Do we want to revisit this?

Does he play for Michigan? I canā€™t stand him

So 1 bad game and heā€™s terrible? Very short patience with you I could tell

1 GAME?! What the hell are you watching

1 Like

This season I would say he hasnā€™t had many games like this. I am talking about big ten play when I say 1 game not his whole career.

You clearly have the Internet. Go look at his game logs. These types of games are far more common than his solid games.

I am not saying he plays amazing every game. He played horrible and sluggish tonight and normally (in big ten play) he isnā€™t like that. Tonight was just atrocious.