Taking Pistons on as my new second team

better than Kevin Ollie

1 Like

whoa I didn’t even pay attention to that part. w t f

time for Isaiah to get to work on telling him the wonders of some of our NIL collectives

2 Likes

Highest paid coach in the NBA for the worst team in the NBA

Someone made a good point to me that coaching salary is basically marginal, though. 12 or 8 million is a drop in the bucket compared to the team salary. If you can pay $4 million for an extra two wins, why not?

5 Likes

No cap for coaches but crazy committing resources like tot hat to an nba coach, my hot take is nba coaches really don’t matter that much. There’s a reason dudes can role in with no coaching experience and succeed.

Considering Spoelstra has dog walked his coaching Counter parts I can’t say I agree

5 Likes

And the coach’s salary doesn’t impact the cap. It’s just down to the owner agreeing to the money. When you’re a billionaire trying to boost your ego by having your nba franchise not be the worst, why not spend a few extra million to get Monty instead of Ollie.

3 Likes

The Full Monty!

1 Like

Exactly. That’s what I mean by just being marginal. It’s just money, might as well over spend on things that create advantages.

1 Like

I mean it’s not our money

Monty is a pretty good coach, better than Ollie

I’d concentrate on that before the money

4 Likes

Also means the Pistons have to go free agent shopping. Might package that #5 lotto pick as trade bait. Ticket prices will be going up, too. When next season’s goal is Play-In level or Bust, how many💰 it takes is irrelevant.

1 Like

They don’t matter until they do

1 Like

Kinda wondering what we could get for Bojan and 5.

The teams that want Bojan won’t be trading good players.

You pay a coach of that caliber that kind of money so you can be patient. Don’t Stan Van Gundy your way into the playoffs right away just so you can top out as an 8th seed.
Get some solid picks at 5 and 31.
And some Monty approved role players that can play defense and shoot to surround the youngins.

4 Likes

He basically got an 8 year deal with the 2 option years. He has all of the job security in the world, so I don’t think this impacts the Pistons being patient at all.

I think it probably tops out around 3 first round picks, none of which would be as good as 5 in this year’s draft. But a couple of those picks could be used in a trade later. I just don’t think you’re getting anything other than future assets for Bojan.

1 Like

This is correct. The teams who will want him are the ones competing right now. That also means they probably are over the cap so they can’t give up a $5M rookie with potential and take on Bojan’s $20M salary. Any trade for Bojan is going to be structured where Detroit gets a future pick, maybe some young asset with untapped potential, and some filler contract of a player the trading team doesn’t see valuable to them.

3 Likes

Yeah, the return on Bojan is going to be draft capital basically, which is why I think they should see if they can get a pick in this year’s draft. I’m not sure if the Lakers have a pick next year (probably not?) but if they did, the Pistons should see if they can deal him for that 17 pick this year and something else (obviously getting an onerous contract in return) - the Lakers would kill for him.