Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Cade went and got his own bucket late against the Raptors and also late against someone else that I’m blanking on. But like, creating his own shot late in the game is something we’ve seen him do a couple times.

I think it was the Celts game, or it might have been another, where, in the last two minutes, with the offense stagnant as it so often it, and you rely on your best player to just bull his way to a shot, Cade had a turnover and a charge. That’s the stuff I’m talking about. Not just the fourth quarter in general. Those very specific last-few-possessions scenarios where a killer first step and burst are needed.

1 Like

Yeah I mean he is still a rookie. I guess I’m just saying I feel like he’s shown quite a bit to show that there is the makings of the “clutch gene” there

Is Luca Donic’s first step and burst considered to be explosive?

Not at all. He just uses a handful of moves and deception. Which is similar to what Cade does.

Honestly… Cade is able to create WAY more separation than I thought he would be able to coming out of the draft. He gets to his spots and he gets open shots. Some of them just haven’t been falling early in the season.

2 Likes

Who remembers Darko Milicich’s interview after an international game between Serbia and Greece?

1 Like

The #2 overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft, ladies and gentlemen. Oof.

The great debate: was he just a gigantic scouting miss, or did Larry Brown kill his confidence?

This reminds me of the craziest thing I found out last week…

NBA and NCAA championship winning Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown is an assistant coach at Memphis. WTehF

1 Like

Probably both. It was almost consensus that he was the number two pick in that draft, so everybody was off the mark on scouting. I think being more a developmental prospect, paired with a team that was in win now mode wasn’t an ideal situational fit either.

2 Likes

I guess another possibility is that maybe he just came to the US too young. Maybe with a couple more years in Europe he could have matured more as a player and person.

1 Like

I remember way too much about Darko. Prefer to remember nothing at all.

7 Likes

We could have had a dynasty. Somehow, in a year where we’d go on to win the NBA championship, in a draft with Dwayne Wade, Lebron, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, we picked Darko.

Otoh, it’s unknown if Dumars still would have made the trade for Sheed if he had drafted one of the others. That trade put them over the top.

In an alternate timeline where he drafts Carmelo, maybe he has a long career in Detroit but doesn’t win it all.

4 Likes

The killer story out there was that Denver wanted to trade up with us. Getting either Bosh, Melo, or Wade AND some extra compensation?

Oof.

3 Likes

This is true. Although maybe taking Bosh and having the money to resign Okur and/or Corliss could’ve turned out very well. Likely no title in '04, though.

1 Like

That should have earned him a one game suspension, right?
I kinda felt sorry for Darko–no more.

I’ve lived in Minneapolis for a number of years, and remember (unfortunately) when the T-Wolves picked up Darko after his time with the Pistons. The general manager at the time said of the pickup, “It’s like manna from heaven.” Did not turn out quite so well.

(This was also the same general manager that drafted PG Jonny Flynn with the 6th pick in the 2009 NBA draft instead of Stephen Curry - after drafting PG Ricky Rubio with the 5th pick.)

1 Like

Think I knew That and forgot. Even more stunning that they can’t win with that group. I know they’re playing better but when you see the guys they have they should be top ten.

1 Like

I think what makes Cade and Luka so good is they have outstanding deceleration then make their move before the defender had a chance to finish reacting. It’s a similar characteristic of James Harden. They aren’t explosive athletes but can get to their spots whenever they wanted to.

2 Likes

I agree. I argued that having Darko allowed Dumars to be aggressive to trade for Sheed for next to nothing. No Darko = likely no Sheed and no title. Sheed pretty much made the team complete.

I think if Joe D wasn’t sold on Darko, Bosh would’ve been the pick IMO. Bosh fits better with the team because they had a need for a big. Would Bosh have succeeded under Larry Brown? That’s hard to tell. No Melo nor Wade due to Rip and Prince.

1 Like