Taking Pistons on as my new second team

Weaver is doing what a good GM is supposed to do when rebuilding which is definitely refreshing to see given what the Pistons have done in the past with the late years Joe Dumars and SVG. It’s nice to have a GM who knows how to use salary cap space as a trade asset to get more draft capital. Now if we can trade one of Griffin or Rose, we can tank properly for Cade or Jalen Green.

I like all three first rounders we took (don’t know anything about Lee). I feel the shortcomings with Hayes are all fixable except his average to below-average athleticism (although I’d say athleticism is a luxury to have at the PG spot instead of a necessity). His size and defense could even allow us to draft another PG next year, hopefully Cade.

I love Stewart’s effort on the court. Right now he seems like a harder working Derrick Favors to me. Hopefully he can expand his perimeter scoring and get more toward a Paul Millsap type player in the future.

I’m fine with the Kennard trade since Luke can never stay on the court for a full season. Maybe Saddiq Bey can turn into what we could have had in Middleton before we just threw him into the Jennings trade for absolutely no reason.

2 Likes

I think they view Hayes and Sekou as guys who will be good starters on very good teams and view Bey and Stewart as at least good rotational pieces on very good teams. Then, they tank the next two seasons and hope to land two superstars in the next two drafts to finish out that young core. They will need some luck with ping pong balls, though.

1 Like

I believe the Pistons are one of the only team that has never moved up in the lottery. They either stay the same or fall back. 2003 is the exception, but it was technically another team’s pick.

Michigan fans of a certain age should easily recall Amp Lee’s monster game at Michigan stadium.

Oh, yea. Heh. He ran amply…

1 Like

Hell I would rather have Tillman than Stewart

1 Like

I like Tillman but I’d easily take Stewart ahead of him.

6 Likes

Same. Two years younger, bigger, higher offensive upside. Tillman has a higher floor, but that’s not the kind of prospect the Pistons should be going for right now.

5 Likes

Pistons should be going for players that help them win games.

That is the exact opposite of what they should be doing if they ever want to reach heights as high as the early-mid 2000’s IMO. They should be doing exactly what they have done, blowing up the mess of the last 15 years into oblivion and starting over from scratch. If they get 20 wins this year it’ll have been a failure. You can’t control the lottery, but in next two drafts a top three pick is infinitely better than it was this year.

4 Likes

What’s that have to do with Tillman and Stewart

Any contract can be moveable. Just need to find the right buyer. I’m sure Weaver is working to move Blake’s contract.

Rose isn’t much of a problem since it’s only 7 mil and an expiring contract.

Sekou is exactly the kind of prospect the Pistons should be swinging for at mid teen pick. They need to find potential superstar. I don’t think Sekou is one but I think he’ll be a high end athletic 3&D wing player which is valuable. We seen flashes of potential last season. He’s a smart cutter, can run and showed that he can shoot.

Shoulda sold high on the Pistons yesterday boy. Today’s signings are…not encouraging.

Drafting a center #16, then signing 2 more in the early stages of FA, including a massive overpay of Plumlee…

2 Likes

On the bright side, these signings should assure that they wind up with a top 3 pick next year and can draft Cunningham, Green or Kuminga!

3 Likes

I’m am stunned

They went out and spent money on Plumlee and Jahlil Okafor instead of try to re-sign Christian Wood - a 24 year old old who spent the last two months doing a 22/9 with a blocked shot a game and shooting over 40% from 3.

Maybe it’s as simple as Wood will help them win too many games and they are finally going for a proper tank. Otherwise, yeah you’d think Wood would be a player you want in your future

My reaction is that they made these signings because Wood won’t sign with them. And who could blame him for that?

5 Likes

Hes 24!!

They can build around him!

These moves don’t stop them from bringing back Wood. Can go over the cap to bring him back. And they may see him as a PF with Blake to be dealt. Not to mention, this team isn’t trying to win. I bet Weaver sees Plumlee as someone he can trade for a pick at some point. And Okafor is on a vet minimum. Don’t see the issue here.