Quarantine Mailbag Podcast: G League, transfers, 5-stars, Karim Mane, Big Ten & more

I would like to organize a half-time slap boxing show at center court. For entertainment purpose only.

Izzo v Brandon Johns

1 Like

Juwan vs Izzo

5 Likes

Both would work for me. But yeah, I think Juwan v Izzo would be the better though. You are right. You just know Juwan would throw in some cabbage patch dance moves. Hahaha

Izzo would agree to it because he’d mishear it as a floor slapping competition.

4 Likes

Those are perfect. I think Wagner versus Henry is very interesting. Frankly, I remain fascinated at the lack of attrition in Izzo’s program despite how he openly treats the guys during games and the “mixed” record of development for guys with NBA aspirations. Henry is someone who clearly didn’t respond to Izzo’s tough love this year and yet didn’t transfer. How he develops next year when he has a chance to take on a bigger role will be fascinating - does he grow into the star we thought he could be? Does he remain the ideal role player who does a lot of glue-guy stuff but doesn’t reach his ceiling? Or does his confidence continue to decline?

4 Likes

It will be really interesting to see how the G-League evolves. Dylan made some great points about control, keeping kids local to scout, and there are the obvious player benefits to give them an option other than faking a year of college.

But…

• What will happen if this academy group reveals that some of these kids just aren’t ready for the NBA? What is their next step - a regular G-League player? Overseas?
  • What happens if the NBA owners want more control of these kids…does the 1-and-done go away but the draft stay the same? Would they expand the draft to better fill the G-league with prospects?
  • Is there a way for a prospect to talk to the NBA about this option without doing something like hiring an agent to ruin their amateur status?
  • Could the NBA and NCAA work out a system like Hockey where some good junior leagues don’t prevent a kid from going back to college if they turn out not to be superstars?
  • What will Covid’s impact financially be on the G-league?
  • If NIL comes along, will players find they can market themselves better in college than the G-league?

So many unanswered questions. Todd will be interesting because I am of the opinion that he has a long way to go before he can compete with NBA players. Will he grow as a player this year? Vanish under heavy competition? Still get drafted on “potential” even though the NBA got a year to work with him?

Dylan -

If you were given the Infinity Gauntlet and allowed to snap your fingers and “fix” the NCAA/NBA relationship and dynamic…what would the end result be?

For me it is an NHL-like draft-and-follow system where the players are allowed some sort of NIL and perhaps structured “draft bonus”.

1 Like

Hate to say it but you have to assume that their mantra about how the players know and respect him regardless of this carries some truth. I’d hate it. I’d not want my kid to deal with someone who does that but maybe some see it as a ++

Whatever it is, he inspires loyalty. I’m sure there’s got to be some genuine value in there for the players. It’s surely not all a show he puts on to fool people.

3 Likes

I imagine some of it depends on the athlete, and what that athlete needs and responds to.

I remember reading about how Bo treated players vastly different. Like he might scream and yell to motivate a player like John Kolesar, because that was what was he needed. Whereas he might just share a statement like “That was a poor play for you” to motivate a player like Greg McMurtry, which might be all that was needed to motivate him.

I’m guessing that if you go to play for Tom Izzo at MSU, you’ve somewhat self-selected yourself as an athlete who responds being screamed and yelled at more so than some other players. Which is why they might be more willing to take it than some others. And might appreciate it more.

1 Like

I always felt that Izzo rated really well with tough-love parents.

Nick Saban has psychologists analyse his players so he knows which coaching methods each individual will respond to the best.

As you said, the players who sign on to MSU know what they are getting into, it’s not like he can hide his coaching style.

Yeah. Reminds of when Bobby Knight kinda hit that kid while he was coaching at Tech, and the kids parents came out in support of Knight.

1 Like