Podcast: Big May Takes on portal moves, Jaelin Llewellyn, what U-M and MSU need, and, yes, Emoni Bates

Listening to the pod I had a realization… All of our hand wringing about the lack of guards on the roster, the lack of upper class men, the lack of versatility, and the impact of Frankie leaving is directly relating to missing on Zeb Jackson.

Imagine a universe where Zeb was a solid rotational player this year as a third guard who could play either spot, defended well, and had a decent offensive game. In that universe we bring back four guards next year, one of whom is a junior with experience and who could probably play either spot if you needed him to.

Instead, when he didn’t work out we lost that junior combo guard that we had to backfill with Llewellyn.

5 Likes

As for MSU at center…I suspect they aren’t in the portal because they think Kohler is their Hunter and when paired with Hauser and Sissoko they feel ok. Also, wasn’t Stevens the big man coach? Maybe his departure threw off their recruiting or made them realize playing four guys ten minutes was a bad idea.

1 Like

Problem is Kohler is only 6’9, not 7’1 so he can’t get away with some of the defensive deficiencies that Hunter can because he is not that big for a center. He will have a very tough time of the defensive end. Hunter is going to stuff him in a trash can

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was logical…just my wild theory about their lack of interest in portal bigs.

I think wings is the bigger problem anyway. They are replacing Christie (hopefully) and Brown with Pierre Brooks? I like Hall, but he’s more of a 4 and still can’t get consistent minutes

2 Likes

Good thing they were able to pick up Micah Parrish for some depth on the wing today…oops