NCAA 2018: Michigan vs. Texas A&M Discussion Thread

They remind me a lot of this MSU team.

1 Like

I like that comparison!

MSU had quality shooters all over the place though at least on paper or when they were in the game (LOL). Winston, Langford, Jackson, McQuaid all right at 40% and they also had Bridges taking 6 a game at 36%.

A&M has only Gilder and Hogg as quality shooters at 40% and 38% respectively. Then they have six different guys that take between 1 and 3 threes a game and make between 24% and 32%.

Being that we clearly matched up well with MSU this year, a less talented, less efficient version of them has to be a huge blessing this late in the game.

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ sorry I shouldnā€™t have said a complete copy of MSU, but similar in overall style.

They arenā€™t as good of a shooting team and have some other differences. Just probably the best Big Ten comparison.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s a really apt comparison. Theyā€™re MSU but add on a couple more weaknesses.

Maybe Iā€™m off here, but donā€™t they also resemble Tennessee quite a bit from the 2014 game?

Two bigs, hit the offensive glass, not a great shooting team, hit their stride in the tournament. (Which GR3 just abused their 4 man that game haha AND Irvin got it going from deep.)

1 Like

Somewhat because of the two true bigs aspect, but that Tennessee had a pretty normal perimeter rotation. I like the MSU comparison more due to the offense running through the point guard and A&M playing a stretch 4 out of position at the 3 due to their abundance of bigs and lack of guard depth.

6 Likes

Very true. Not to go off topic but I forgot Tenn was ranked 10th in Kenpom that year. Crazy they were an 11 seed.

1 Like

I guess, promising that Texas A&m will outrebound us is not something I would have done.

Lots of people(me at one time) question the things Beilein does. By the looks of things, he seems to be a bit smarter than any of us. What possible effect could him saying that have on the game? Iā€™m going to say none.

3 Likes

Wow, that season also had the #13 team as an 8 seed, the #15 team as a 7 seed, the #16 team as a 9 seed, the #21 team as a 9 seed, and the #22 team as an 11 seed. Absolutely brutal for the unlucky high seeds who had to face those guys early.

1 Like

Haha. Yeah, I was just joking around. I mean, I was being serious that I would not say that, but I am not a basketball genius and he is, and they probably will outrebound usā€”I just wouldnā€™t promise it :slight_smile: Also, truth be told, I like JBā€™s quirkiness. I think it is hilarious that he would make such an emphatic statement. JB is a character.

4 Likes

I just wonder how many subs he ate after Pooleā€™s shot

2 Likes

Beileinā€™s quote speaks to the point that ā€œout-reboundā€ (rebound margin) isnā€™t really a thing that makes sense if you are thinking about basketball the right way.

4 Likes

You might not have noticed since you were in Wichita, but the pre game ā€œThese are the team stats that are importantā€ that TBS showed to compare the teams included points per game, opponent points per game, rebounds per game, and something else really dumb. It certainly is one of my pet peeves to see out of context stats blindly shoveled down our throats.

I get that they need to appeal to less intense basketball fans, but stillā€¦

4 Likes

And of course we had to play that #13 8 seed on top of that #10 11 seed. Poor Wichita St that year.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure he had some subs and it was crazy.

1 Like

At this point in the tournament, I am not taking any team lightly. They all concern me. I also think that we can beat any of them on a given night.

I hope Ibi Watson can really work on his shot this summer because I love the defense that heā€™s played in the 2 shifts heā€™s had since the BTT.

4 Likes