Moritz Wagner vs. Mark Donnal minutes distribution

This is so, so wrong.

2 Likes

Lol.

And DJ would be a running point on most teams in America am I rite???

1 Like

DJ would be a 6th or 7th man on most all top 10 teams, and probably most top 20. He would be an energy guy going between the 3 and 4 spot.

DJ is not playing the 3 spot on any college team in the countryā€¦

1 Like

How many 6ā€™11" 240 lb small forwards are there in the NBA??? 2-3? And youā€™re telling me that DJ is playing the 3 in college?

Smh.

3 Likes

Just as long as Coach B figures out the best way to use him and he improvesā€¦we can agree on that?

1 Like

What would stop DJ from playing 3? I donā€™t get it. If we needed a 3 DJ could play it for usā€¦In my opinion, If our 3 was relatively mediocre or worse and if we already had the 4 covered by someone good then DJ would be a likely candidate to play the 3 offensively or defensively.

DJ is unique.

DJ would probably play 4 on almost any team not because he canā€™t play 3 but because he can also play 4 and players with his skillset become more common with every inch they are shorter than 6ā€™11.

Only a matter of time before Mark Donnal reclaims his starting spot

ā€” LAbound (@LAbound2) November 24, 2016

Anyone else see that happening? Since that post Wagner has averaged 14.8 and 5 in 4 games on 62.9% from the field and 6 of 12 from three.

1 Like

I would have said the same thing around Thanksgiving after how well Mark played in NYC. Moe has become significantly more reliable defensively over the last week.

Also cherry picking something someone tweeted 3 weeks ago to try to troll them is low.

5 Likes
  1. This is a thread about Moritz Wagner vs Mark Donnal. That is quite literally the thread title.
  2. Posters were also just saying how much they were missing MattDā€™s input.
  3. I posted a tweet about Mattā€™s input onā€¦ you nailed itā€¦ Wagner and Donnal.

Nothing low about itā€¦

2 Likes

Because his only perimeter skill is the ability to make wide open spot up 3s at a 38% rate? He doesnā€™t have the handles, passing ability, shooting from all over the court, etc to be an actual wing. Even though he technically plays the wing spot in our offense, youā€™ll see that heā€™s not tasked with any of the actual offensive sets that wings initiate in Beileins offense ala Stauskas and Irvin. Heā€™s out there on offense mostly to just sit in the corner.

Love it. Not everyone sees the same talent I guess. If Donnal starts another game in his career, Wagner better be in Germany.

MattD was down on Wagner ever since he was a recruit.

1 Like

Lateral quickness, shooting, ball handling, and passing all come to mind when limiting dj as he is right now to playing 4 exclusively.

None of Donnal, Teske, or Wagner can consistently defend the 4-spot in todayā€™s college game. Unless youā€™re playing a team like Purdue who lines up with 2 traditional bigs.

On a switch during picks, yeah, Donnal/Wagner can sometimes avoid being exposed on the perimeter. But as a normal set, no, not going to work.

Late game, if you can switch offense/defense, to go high-low to create an open offensive look, OK. But then get that defensive sub in before the ball goes to the other end of the court

With the depth on the roster there really is no reason for Wilson to play the 3 at Michigan. No one currently on the roster is better suited for the 4-spot in Beileinā€™s system ā€” offensively or defensively. Additionally, Wilson would be more mis-cast as a college 3 than he was as a college 5 his first 2yrs in the program.

Irvin is the teamā€™s best wing and is best suited for the 3-spot. Robinson is closer to a 3 than a 4. Watson is a 2/3 hybrid. MAAR is best suited for the 2-spot and has enough height to fill-in at the 3 if needed.

So there isnā€™t a depth chart need for another 3. And there isnā€™t a depth chart replacement for Wilson at the 4. Why change his role?

2 Likes

Defensively youā€™d have to run 2-3 zone with a back line of Wilson/Wagner at wing and teske/donnal in the center. Offense would not look like a Beilein offense.

I 100% disagree with this. Because Wilson isnā€™t Stauskas doesnā€™t mean he canā€™t play a wing. Coach Beilein would run different action to accommodate Wilson.

Coach Beilein says all the time: ā€œyou are who you can guardā€ ā€¦ Wilson can guard a wing.

Having said this, I donā€™t expect Wilson to play a wing anytime soon, mostly because I donā€™t see an advantage to a Donnal, Wagner, Wilson front court.
I do however believe Wagner can play the 4. Maybe next year we could see Teske, Wagner, Wilson for short (no pun intended) stretches.

Ruin the Bruins!!

1 Like

I agree with everything you said. I donā€™t think we should try to change DJā€™s position on this team. I am being misunderstood. I was speaking hypothetically, in a response to the idea that DJ is not capable of playing 3 in college. My belief is that DJ is fine right where he is given the pieces around him but that he a good enough skill set to play 3. I think people are underestimating his ball handling capabilities and shooting.

Most of his half court dribbling involves his use of his left hand. He has been playing very disciplined within the team concept. It is apparent that the coaches staff wanted him to simplify his game but I believe there is more under the surface. He is currently giving us his best gr3 imitation and quite frankly, if you compare his numbers to gr3 DJ is doing just as well or better without the benefit of assisting players like Burke, Spike and Stauskas. He is consciously copying GR3 but GR3 had its limitations like ballhandling and tunnel visionā€¦

The JB 4 does not showcase ball handling skill set (it showcases 3 point shooting), in my opinion. Although, like with GR3ā€™s sophomore year I would not be surprised to see Wilson receiving more pin down screens at some point.

DJā€™s high school videos are interestingā€¦