Meyer, Alexander, Jordan - Michigan Assistants

I stand corrected. Was that before Bacari’s time, or are you inferring that Bacari was not so keen on them?

While I think it is time one of the assistant coaches moves to a head coaching job, I would rather Coach Beilein look for an assistant coach who knows defense and can take over the whole defense rather than get just a recruiter.

I hate to speculate and don’t have any sources but sounds like Bacari and Lavall might leave. Never want attrition but hope that maybe some fresh eyes will spark JB like the last coaching change.

Also of note if someone does leave, Marlon Williamson is a Detroiter who was on Jamie Dixon’s staff at Pitt.

Beilein’s practices are generally 75% offense and 25% defense. The defense will almost always lag behind. I was seeing some numbers about the teams in the Sweet 16 this year and I think 10 of the 16 teams left were in the top 20 in offensive efficiency. Not a single team in the top 10 of defense made it to the round of 16.

Ultimately offense wins.

Pitt typically plays solid defense (without looking at the numbers)…hmmm…

That may be true. But our ceiling goes up way higher if we can play competent defense paired with JB’s typically very good offenses.

I think it would be a huge loss to lose Jordan. I really hope that doesn’t happen. It seems like he’s been one of the best coaches with recruiting and teaching. Plus he was the one who made the ball screen more prevalent in Beileins offense and I think we can all agree that’s been a good thing.

Hmm…where did you see that? According to KenPom, 4 of the top 10 defensive teams are alive (UVa, KU, UNC and Nova), plus A&M and Wisconsin are 11 and 12.

3 Likes

I was wrong on that. I meant Saturday’s winners were all top 20 in offense.

Any time Michigan hits on a recruit, it was by accident or had nothing to do with Beilein.

We get it.

:hankey:

Guys like Staukas ,Hatch, Donnal& DMo were Beilien guys.

Sounds like based on what? The malcontents in umhoops forum echo chamber? JB isn’t going to read this thread and decide to fire somebody. If they get a promotion elsewhere that’s a different matter entirely.

Correct !!

I did not start this discussion calling for anyone’s head. I love Beilein and like our staff. So I apologize there.

I have a good friend that is the Head Coach in the MAC. He believes recruiting success/connections by his assistants is so important. He is sending his assistant out on the recruiting trail as much (if not more than) him having an eye for talent, making connections, etc… He recently hired an assistant from x state, bc he knew it was fertile ground for players and recently got a great player with multiple D1 offers to choose a MAC school. (Yes, just one example, with many facts unknown.)

Maybe that is the difference between Michigan and a MAC program? We have the best assistant we can get, and he is always looking for the next up and coming great assistant? Maybe his assistants are always looking to take the jump so he has to always be on the look out for the next good one that has good recruiting ties?

Personally think that Michigan has some of the best assistants in the Big Ten and in the country. The team’s failures this season seems to be more of a personnel issue, and that should get better with development.

lol keep going

My post will get deleted bro.

not a chance. too much sense. or is that a liability?

Take the hint.