Livers the next Jordan?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone call him the next coming of Jordan, but he definitely has All-Big Ten potential. As for what he’s done to prove this: He’s a 6’8" wing with a high IQ who had the highest offensive rating on the team last year, second lowest turnover ratio, shot 43% from three to lead the conference, and he’s a high-level defender. What’s not to love? If he can show some improved ball handling and get to the basketball and finish a little more this year, he’s a first round draft pick.

3 Likes

To me, Isaiah is a rich man’s Aubrey Dawkins–one who, unlike Aubrey, plays good defense, rebounds well, and thinks the game at a very high level, but who has the same offensive skill set. He’s a perimeter shooter, a finisher off of feeds from others or via put-backs, and a guy who is fantastic in transition because he runs the court hard and well and is very athletic. This is NOT an insult by any means–Aubrey was a good player at Michigan, and a very, very good player at USF–it’s just my take on Isaiah’s strengths and best usage. People want to make Isaiah into a shot creator because we seem to lack many of those, but I’m not sure I see that in his game without a transformative leap. That said though, the Isaiah we have should be good for double digit scoring, strong rebounding numbers, and a place on one of the top 3 All Big Ten teams as he becomes more of a focal point this season.

4 Likes

But better. The new GOAT. You heard it here first.

2 Likes

“People are saying insane thing read in one post on a message board. I think it’s crazy. Debate me!”

Livers is a pretty good player who, if I were to pick one guy who is our leading scorer next year, would be the guy. I’d guess he’ll make one of the All Big Ten teams. Not quite Jordan.

7 Likes

Aubrey had some of the most spectacular missed put back dunks that I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

My comp would be Matt Barnes, except Livers is thicker. Same type of player IMO. Barnes ultimately became a really high energy guy. Livers would really help himself if he did that, too.

2 Likes

I can see this.

1 Like

If it’s Michael Jordan you’re talking, I do believe that it’s not crazy to think that Isaiah can surpass him. If it’s Poole, I dunno man. . . tougher bar to get over, especially with the clothes. :wink:

Forgiving the attempt at humor, though, this one has been given a good going over already this summer. I’d be among those who feel that Isaiah has a pretty high ceiling, but people here have convinced me that expecting him to become a full-on, late-shot-clock assassin may be a reach.

3 Likes

Next coming of Jordan Poole??

1 Like

I hope not. Poole is the most overrated player of the Beilein era.

I’d be happy if Livers just continues his steady improvement and becomes a 3 and D machine. Asking him to create shots for himself or others may be unrealistic

2 Likes

Aubrey would have been a beast had he stayed. I feel like he gets a bad rap here. He would have been a real problem his junior and senior year for other teams under coach b’s scheme.

1 Like

Agreed!! He set himself back but it turned out good for him.

OP is pretending people are making that comparison to have something fictitious to argue against.

1 Like

He didn’t play defense, either.

2 Likes

Hard to say. He didn’t improve any during his second year and his defense was AWFUL. Maybe Yaklich could have helped him.

I disagree as he had two years under Luke if I am not mistaken. He should have made that leap. What makes any of us think he does that now?

For me it will be the simplified offense that will help his defense. If he can learn to dribble better his game might be rounded out.

They’re speaking of Dawkins and his defense, not Livers and his defense. Livers plays good defense, especially at the 4, but even, as he showed when Matthews was out, at the 3 (though he got torched a bit by Culver when Matthews was out of the TTU game). Isaiah’s defense grew steadily under Yaklich.

Dawkins looked way better on defense with tacko Fall behind him.

5 Likes

I could definitely see Isaiah Livers as the next LaVall Jordan. Young leader-type who could potentially earn a living as a college basketball head coach.

2 Likes