Is Michigan a transition team?

Mattd, more turnovers would lead to more possessions. Let’s look at an extreme example. If Michigan turned the ball over within 5 seconds of getting the ball every single time they had it and even if the other time uses the full shot clock, think about how much extra time there would be than if Michigan took the entire shot clock. There would be an extra 20ish seconds everytime they turn the ball over that would add up to a lot of extra time hence more possessions.

Honestly im done with the theoretical crap because all of us are just speculating. The truth is, and the numbers support, we are not a transition heavy team - which was my original point.

To really put this in perspective, last year Iowa was #34 in possessions per game while UM was............................#339 (out of 340-350 depending on the year). Furthermore, UM was #331 in 09-10, #336 in 10-11, #327 in 11-12, 261 in 12-13. I'd say that confirms we aren't an uptempo team.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Possessions per Game | TeamRankings.com

Interesting comparison. I remember watching Iowa a few times last year and cringing with how much they chuck shots haha

Never good when Aaron White pulls up for a 3 on the fast break!

The formula for possessions per game is:

Possessions = field goal attempts – offensive rebounds + turnovers + (0.475 x free throw attempts).

As turnovers increase, the # of possessions increase. In mathematical terms, this would be described as being directly proportional.

Example A:
50 FGA
10 Offensive Rebounds
5 Turnovers
0 Free Throws

50 - 10 + 5 = 45 Possessions

Example B:
50 FGA
10 Offensive Rebounds
10 Turnovers
0 Free Throws

50 - 10 + 10 = 50 Possessions

This has become way too convoluted. We will push the ball up the court hard EVERY time we have the chance. And we usually score. Not always a lay up or dunk, often a spot up shot on the secondary break. A classic example was a huge three by Nik at Breslin where Vitale saw the play developing and said “uh oh, uh oooohh” just as Nik set up at the line. At the same, time, we are deliberate on offense in the half court.