Iffff we were to look for a coach who would be realistic targets?

I used to really like him, but he’s old and his program has been declining for a few years.

Porter Moser is a name to watch, IMO.

Think the notion about being dirty can be put aside until the NCAA decides to actually do something. I would say find someone who is LESS dirty than most, but at this point go on ahead and be a little dirty. NCAA says it’s okay based on their actions.

1 Like

Why not? Easily worth the investment.

1 Like

No thanks on Hurley. I’ve watched ASU play a few times, their offense is a complete mess. Poorly coached, IMO.

White has really underwhelmed me.

1 Like

Declining? They were a 4 seed 2 years ago, then graduated darn near their entire team but still made the NIT semis (sounds very Beilein-esque). Instead you want a one hit wonder?

Here is one: Brian Wardle.
Bradley head coach. 5 years at Wisconsin Green Bay before that.

You know, I’m just going to say I’m wrong. For some reason, I was thinking they had had a couple rough years in a row. Not the case. And he’s younger (56) than I thought. I’m back to liking him a lot.

2 Likes

Cross Oats off the list.

1 Like

You only hire an interim if you plan to keep him if he does a decent job. Don’t even call him an interim, but also don’t offer a contract that’s a major commitment. Preferably, you extend him during the season.

It’s an imperfect solution, but this is not a great time to hire a new coach. That’s at least an option. Getting a name near the top of your wish list might not be now. The worst mistake is committing to a coach you wouldn’t hire under a normal coaching search. And make no mistake, you can’t conduct a normal coaching search right now.

2 Likes

Ugh, I will be really conflicted if I have to watch Michigan coached by Bobby Hurley. His ASU teams have had lots of talent and constantly underachieved. Mike White would be underwhelming as well, IMO.

1 Like

Can’t do the interim thing or have iffy support for an assistant for a year. The 2020 class with 5 open scholarships is way too important for the next 3 or 4 years too throw it away with an interim coach

1 Like

Mike White is a pretty stellar recruiter. Three top-50 kids this season. Nembhard and Locke last year. Was also in on Iggy as well, IIRC, so that (along with guys like Locke) highlight a similar mindset for recruiting. I think that’s a good back-pocket option if Michigan run through their list of home run guys.

5 Likes

Seems to be national buzz for Donovan. Nothing concrete whatsoever but a lot of people who follow college basketball seem to think it’s a possibility. Mainly because it sounds like there were hints he may be open to college again and if you’re going to go back, this is the exact job to come back to.

2 Likes

Where would the perception of paying so much for the two coaches be a problem?

Michigan athletics generates and spends a lot of money. Having top level salaries across the board makes sense. Doesn’t it look worse if they’re only will to spend it on football?

It certainly wouldn’t hurt the perception for basketball recruits.

1 Like

Sorry, but you can’t make a major hire that you expect to be around for many years based on one recruiting class. It’s far more important to make the right hire, not to get one right away.

It’s also not clear whether hiring Yak or Saadi would negatively impact the 2020 class. They already have relationships with the recruits. Someone new is going to have to start over and that’s pretty late for the 2020 class. Saying someone is definitely an interim would hurt recruiting,. That’s why I said they shouldn’t do that.

2 Likes

Maybe the next hire does what Harbaugh did in regards to pay. Ask for a high total budget and make all Assistants some of the highest paid in College Basketball?

Juwan Howard.

As Head Coach? Not feeling it.

2 Likes

Same things were said about beilein…

1 Like

It’d be obvious even if they weren’t labeled interim contracts are public knowledge. You can’t dismiss the 2020 class completely with this transition you may only have 6 scholarship players in 20-21 the 2020 class has to be good to great or 20-21 could be awful and set the program back 3-5 years. This hire at this time is IMMENSELY important