I like Wilson's video (and calling out MattD just a little bit)

I'll be honest that I hadn't paid much attention to Wilson's video because I thought we'd get Grantham and might not even offer Wilson. But I checked it out this morning and was pleasantly surprised. He can really put in on the floor for a big guy, is a good and willing passer, and has a great looking shot. I can see some of the worries about a lack of elite athleticism, which I agree will be more of a factor on the defensive side. However, I like that he appears interested in mixing it up and tries to be a presence inside on both ends of the court. Length and effort can go a long way on defense. I would be pretty happy if he commits and I think he'd be a great player to have in the program the next few years.

Also, I’m hesitant to do this, but while watching the Wilson video I happened to notice the following comment from MattD (who has been has been downplaying Wilson this morning):
"First off, if that guy is not a top 100 player then recruiting analysts simply have it wrong. I have to assume the ranking (or lack of) is simply a product of non-exposure due to injury. Wilson can definitely shoot the rock, even when he misses the shot is on line. Passing ability was well above average for a player that size much like grantham. Can handle the ball with either hand, he even looks to prefer going left. That being said, i prefer grantham as a combo forward. No doubt Wilson can play the 4 on offense but i’m skeptical about his ability to defend either the 3 or the 4 at the college level. "

MattD, it’s okay to be disappointed about Grantham, and I included that last bit because I think you’re viewing this as a Wilson from Grantham letdown. However, your comments this morning seem more based off disappointment than your more objective analysis.

First off, thanks for the acknowledgement, I appreciate your disagreement in an objective manner.

To address your post - my opinion on Wilson is not based on comparison to Grantham, it is a valid concern regardless of who we have in the mix. I think Wilson is a top 100 player, but his problems on defense are too big a concern to warrant a scholarship in my opinion. Keep in mind, we’re not talking about a lack of elite athleticism, we’re talking about what appears to be a below average athlete at the high school level. Taking on a player like Wilson creates the modern day problem of not having 2 way players. Different level of basketball, but the Lakers are a great example - very good offense, but the inability to defend based on a lack of lateral quickness(which is exactly what Wilson lacks in a bad way) is what basically prevented them from winning a championship.

I even think Wilson is limited offensively, he can certainly handle the ball for a player that size, and I don’t think anyone questions his ability to shoot, however Wilson doesn’t have a post game, and doesn’t exhibit an inclination to go to the rim with authority. What you have left is a one trick pony that is relegated to a Smot like role of shooting open 3’s and being a detriment to the team in every way if his shot is not falling.

I may be wrong, But it was my understanding that he didnt play much this past year as a junior right? So if that holds true, you do understand these highlights you are so critical of are Highlights of DJ Wilson as a Sophomore no? If so, very impressive. He did go to work on Looney once he was healthy in the spring. Did he not go head to head with nice results against Ivan Rabb, often listed as the best or Top 3 player in 2015.

No disrespect intended, but I simply don’t feel the need to respond based on some of your previous posts.

Let’s just say we agree to disagree.

I'll be honest that I hadn't paid much attention to Wilson's video because I thought we'd get Grantham and might not even offer Wilson. But I checked it out this morning and was pleasantly surprised. He can really put in on the floor for a big guy, is a good and willing passer, and has a great looking shot. I can see some of the worries about a lack of elite athleticism, which I agree will be more of a factor on the defensive side. However, I like that he appears interested in mixing it up and tries to be a presence inside on both ends of the court. Length and effort can go a long way on defense. I would be pretty happy if he commits and I think he'd be a great player to have in the program the next few years.

Also, I’m hesitant to do this, but while watching the Wilson video I happened to notice the following comment from MattD (who has been has been downplaying Wilson this morning):
"First off, if that guy is not a top 100 player then recruiting analysts simply have it wrong. I have to assume the ranking (or lack of) is simply a product of non-exposure due to injury. Wilson can definitely shoot the rock, even when he misses the shot is on line. Passing ability was well above average for a player that size much like grantham. Can handle the ball with either hand, he even looks to prefer going left. That being said, i prefer grantham as a combo forward. No doubt Wilson can play the 4 on offense but i’m skeptical about his ability to defend either the 3 or the 4 at the college level. "

MattD, it’s okay to be disappointed about Grantham, and I included that last bit because I think you’re viewing this as a Wilson from Grantham letdown. However, your comments this morning seem more based off disappointment than your more objective analysis.

First off, thanks for the acknowledgement, I appreciate your disagreement in an objective manner.

To address your post - my opinion on Wilson is not based on comparison to Grantham, it is a valid concern regardless of who we have in the mix. I think Wilson is a top 100 player, but his problems on defense are too big a concern to warrant a scholarship in my opinion. Keep in mind, we’re not talking about a lack of elite athleticism, we’re talking about what appears to be a below average athlete at the high school level. Taking on a player like Wilson creates the modern day problem of not having 2 way players. Different level of basketball, but the Lakers are a great example - very good offense, but the inability to defend based on a lack of lateral quickness(which is exactly what Wilson lacks in a bad way) is what basically prevented them from winning a championship.

I even think Wilson is limited offensively, he can certainly handle the ball for a player that size, and I don’t think anyone questions his ability to shoot, however Wilson doesn’t have a post game, and doesn’t exhibit an inclination to go to the rim with authority. What you have left is a one trick pony that is relegated to a Smot like role of shooting open 3’s and being a detriment to the team in every way if his shot is not falling.

Wow, a below average athlete at the High School Level who doesnt warrant a Scholarship!!! Laughable. So we have recruited and excepted offers from too many players since Beileins arrival huh? Stu Douglass, Novak, Morgan, Horford, Bielfeldt, Donnal, Stauskas, Darius Morris, Albrecht, Vogrich, McLimans, Brundidge. You get the picture I hope, Because from the film I’ve watched, I think DJ Wilson is more athletic than anyone I just listed. What film are you watching??? Hell Morgan has become one of the better defensive players in the Big Ten. i dont remember him being more athletic than DJ Wilson at the same stage. I see a Grant Hill/Scottie Pippen type player down the line with Strength and Training. But, everyones entitled to their own opinion, only time will tell.

DJ Wilson- 6’8” Cali Superstars forward put his long, athletic body on display over the weekend. Has a knack for doing a lot of things on the court and being very efficient. Wilson rebounds the ball well, handles, looks to get contact in the paint, and shows a nice touch with his left. Uses his length to his advantage on defense as well. At this point Wilson just needs to work on bulking up a bit, and getting a little more consistent mechanically with his shot. Right now Wilson has offers from Boise St., California, Colorado, Harvard, Nevada, USC, as well as a few others. - See more at: UA Summer Jam - Presented by Ny2LA - IndiHoops.com - Authority on Youth Basketball
Master Page
Master Page