Game 27: Michigan at Purdue Preview

Isn’t the last Wolverine win at Purdue the game where GRIII hit that buzzer beater after that nifty pass and catch in the corner? What was that, 2014?

2 Likes

Duncan’s success is pretty mind blowing to me. I never saw this coming. I was pretty hold and cold with him as a player here and I would have never predicted this type of success for him in the NBA. Happy for him but out of all the guys they sent to the Nba he would not have been one of the guys I would have selected to be doing well.

1 Like

Yup. From what I remember we haven’t won in Mackey or Columbus since 2014, our two longest losing streaks that could both be ended in our next 2 road games.

2 Likes

Good news gang! I just found my bed in Vegas and based on my gambling luck it’s best that I stayed away from Michigan today/this morning/who knows? Probably guarantees a 17 point Michigan victory.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts too. I don’t know if you ever heard Duncan’s podcast but he is very talented as a commentator. Who knows? Duncan might still be a part of the NBA 40 years from now. I have a feeling Duncan is going to be around the NBA for a long long time.

I’ve honesty not seen an NBA player cause as much panic in a defense when he gets a sliver of daylight since peak-Hawks Kyle Korver. Offenses have however found ways to start targeting him defensively as a way to play him off the court - his surrounding defensive personnel (Butler, Adebayo particularly) are good so that helps, but Spoelstra may need to find ways to get him more help the way Doc Rivers does for Lou Williams.

On the Purdue game, I don’t feel good. Mackey is tough broadly, we rarely seem to play well there, and this Purdue team is clearly different at home. If Livers doesn’t play we may be taking a mulligan here.

2 Likes

It’s nice to think that our longest road losing streaks only go back a half-dozen years. With Big Ten scheduling that’s probably only 3-4 actual games. A far cry from the days when we had long losing streaks at Breslin and Kohl.

1 Like

The more Haarms plays, the less Williams play—and without Williams, Purdue would have lost the first game by 20.

As far as Haarms/Williams, the fact that Purdue doesn’t play them together anymore makes that kind of irrelevant to me. Together they are a weakness that U-M could take advantage of IMO. Not sure Haarms really changes the game, but I guess I could be wrong.,

I think Haarms can impact X getting to the rim successfully, which Painter will probably have a game plan that includes making X a scorer. Gonna take a lot of those creative finishes from X (not just the hook).