First Look: Texas Tech Red Raiders

My only concern with that scenario would be Iggy coming in from the baseline and into a set defender. TT is very adept at drawing charges as noted by Dylan.

I’m kind of thinking that this will be one of the few times Iggy is given a clear path to the basket. Yes they do well helping, but the question is will Iggy be able to finish or get some calls inside? I don’t think Iggy gets a very generous whistle.

3 Likes

It seems like the UNC game was a million years ago (and I guess it was) where he was finishing in traffic and getting lots of friendly rolls on the rim.

This seems like a really bad game for Iggy. Tech baits you into the baseline drive (Iggy’s favorite), aggressively helps and pressures you and forces you to find the open man behind the arc. Just not Iggy’s skillset.

This IS Xavier’s game though. It kind of fits perfectly for him. Allowing him the baseline gives X leverage to take his hook, he is also at his best when finding the open man as opposed to scoring. Michigan’s offensive success is gonna have a lot to do with X being able to play to his usual level, make great decisions and shooters hitting shots.

1 Like

Or goes strong and gets called for a charge. That will be TT’s plan

Is there a charge rate statistic? I feel like Iggy doesn’t do it often. Probably because he can finish with either hand which gives him a lot of freedom close to the rim.

I recall him driving baseline and kicking it out in a recent game, maybe v MSU. Hopefully, the coaches emphasize situational awareness for this scenario.

Good questions about baiting Iggy here. Same could be said for Matthews, who likes the baseline.