Does Michigan need more playmaking guards on the 2019-20 roster?

One of the most overused cliche in college basketball. Poole and Matthews could create their own shots and yet both were inefficient offensively. Give me players that play within the offense.

Sorry, whatā€™s the most overused cliche? ā€œPlaymaking guardsā€? I donā€™t think too many people would deny that coaches try to figure out whose hands the ball should be in late in the shot clock or down the stretch in a close game, do you? (Pardon any cliches.)

I think the idea would be to have players (or a player) who could create their own shots efficiently.

1 Like

I think it is important to note 2 things here:

1. Players who can get their own shots often are inefficient at times, itā€™s about making sure they arenā€™t forcing the issue too often and picking their moments when the team ā€œneeds a bucketā€
  2. Yes Matthews and Poole had their fair share of efficiency problems when creating their own but if they werenā€™t there a player like Livers or Simpson would have to do it and Iā€™d bet my life they would be even LESS efficient. Itā€™s just that the burden fell to them and they could do better than anyone else could.

Obviously players creating their own offense isnā€™t the only offense a team should run and thatā€™s why teams donā€™t do that but not every possession is going to result in a good look in a timely matter so you need people who can make difficult shots on their own. I think itā€™s a given these are supposed to be less efficient shots.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have that kind of scorer. Even a run-stopper guy with a go-to move. But thatā€™s the difference between having a nice offense that can lead to a tourney birth and a shot at winning a game or two on that stage and having an offense that can get you deeper in the tourney.

Iā€™m not expecting it, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if DDJ brings some ā€œscorerā€ to the table. People say Johns will really benefit from what could be a simpler system than Beilein had, but I think that DDJ could as well.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not nice to have play making guards. Iā€™m saying that the idea that you need someone to be able to create their own shot to be good is overplayed and players creating their own shot isnā€™t always a good thing.

That would be ideal, sure. My point is that losing Pooleā€™s ability to create his own shot isnā€™t that big of a deal.

1. Easier said that done. See: Jordan Poole 2018/19.

2. Ties into one. You get the good (having someone who can get an open look at the end of a shot clock) with the bad (having someone who feels like them getting themselves an open look is always the best shot). Will the teams offensive efficiency be worse at end-of-clock situations? Sure. Does that mean the teams overall offensive efficiency will be worse? No.

So you get the 2014-15 and 15-16 teams where Zak Irvin had to handle the ball and create offense because he was the least-bad option to do so? Hard pass

1 Like

Poole, Matthews and Iggy donā€™t really pertain to the conversation given that it is about next yearā€™s team. It isnā€™t really about replacing X, Y or Z, it is about what assets next yearā€™s team has and whether it is a gap.

For example, I would say it was probably a gap on last yearā€™s team.

Some of the comments in here have drawn my interest though, might work on a story about this.

1 Like

Hoping to do it this week.

2 Likes

Hard pass on what? Itā€™s not like thereā€™s a choice to be had this year. Iā€™m not saying I wouldnā€™t want a go to scorer if one walked through the door. Iā€™m saying the idea that you need a Poole or Matthews to have a good offense is wrong.

Irvin is another example. By his senior year he was good at creating his own shots but was incredibly inefficient. When players are good at creating their own shots they tend to play hero ball on possessions where itā€™s not necessary.

What you may lose in end of the clock situations you may gain in overall offensive efficiency. Itā€™s not a hard concept.

They are relevant when talking about shot creators and efficiency.

My point is that they were not great in that area. This was a problem for last yearā€™s team.

Which is what Iā€™m saying. When you have guys that can create their own shot and itā€™s still a problem then simply having guys that can create their own shot isnā€™t the solution.

Either give me guys that can make those shots (these are 1st team All Conference type shooters who Iā€™d obviously love to have but we canā€™t expect to have one each year) or give me guys that play within the offense efficiently. Iā€™ll take a shot clock violation and a guy shooting 4 of 8 over chucked shot and a guy shooting 4 of 11.

1 Like
  1. Looking forward to your story, Dylan.

2. Absolutely agree with your first statement. In my opinion this discussion should focus on which players on the current roster might be the playmaking guard(s) that we need for the upcoming year because at this juncture no one else is walking through the door for 2019-20 to fill that role. Now, if we have wing type forwards who can be playmakers, e.g. Isaiah, that discussion would be pertinent and interesting to me, too.

I will say this, I, personally, am not really interested in reading all the opinions that may exist about which of our players canā€™t fill a playmaking role on this team. I think we are one player short of being an outstanding team, that being a really good 6ā€™4ish playmaking two guard who can get his own taking it to the hole, and who can shoot it from three as well. We donā€™t have that player, and weā€™re not getting him, but I DO think we have options and players who, if they make a jump this year, can help us to be really good. Tell me about them and why they have a chance to fill an important role on the team. I almost said ā€œourā€ team, but Iā€™m a little sensitive about that term per yesterdayā€™s (day before yesterday?) discussion of the word ā€œourā€ as it relates to Michigan basketball! :wink:

Just my thoughts, so fire away forum! And, again, looking forward to your story, Dylan.

3 Likes

Let me make my point simple.

We lost our three best shot creators from last year and yet I think of offense can be just as efficient overall.

Anyone can create their own shot, making them is what we are talking about. Rather than just go back and forth here, Iā€™ll work on a story this week regarding who were Michiganā€™s best shot creators last year (answers might surprise) and who could fill that void this year.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to the ā€œwho could fill that void this yearā€ part. This may sound weird, but I donā€™t care about last year. I will have fond memories of parts of last year (17-0 start!), but last year is over. Iā€™m looking forward to this year.

Along those lines, I will have wonderful and nostalgic memories of the Beilein era, but thatā€™s it, memories. Iā€™m looking forward to the Juwan Howard era. I enjoyed watching Moe play basketball for Michigan, but Iā€™m looking forward to watching Franz play basketball for Michigan, and thatā€™s my focus now. So, who will fill the roles on this Michigan team in 2019-20, thatā€™s where my interest lies.

2 Likes

Very hard to look at next year without looking at last year. Obviously the offense, coach and system will change, but we know nothing about what Juwan Howard is going to do. We do know things about what Michiganā€™s returning players looked like within the context of college basketball games last season.

1 Like