Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

More moves to be had :shushing_face:

But I am really annoyed with waiving and stretching like three guys haha

2 Likes

He might be, but he’s he brutally strong and makes it very tough to post in deep. I’d personally be much more concerned with his on ball screen defense. He’s not equipped to guard the perimeter yet, might never be good at it honestly. I think out of shear strength and toughness along with his length he does solid on the block and better than most think at the rim.

I just hope he can become at least average in the p n p/ switching out on guards portion, could be his downfall.

Thought I read that they don’t plan on stretching Mcgruder

Pistons, Lions, Red Wings, Tigers (sigh). It’s been awhile. I don’t see the plan, but we’ll see I guess. Honestly my biggest disappointment of all this was letting Wood go. Just has that same gut feeling of Kris Middleton, Spencer Dinwiddie, not drafting Donovan Mitchell

What does stretching mean

Instead of the player’s cap hit being the full amount of the contract, it’s some fraction over a longer period of time. If I remember correctly, three years when a contract has one year remaining and five years when a contract has two years remaining. It clears cap room in the short term, but it leaves dead cap space for a longer period. I personally hate when my team uses the stretch, especially when they could have saved $8 million in cap space by not signing a Plumlee.

4 Likes

Maybe Wood didn’t want to be in Detroit?

1 Like

That was my thoughts. I wonder if he signaled he wasn’t interested.

1 Like

Woodn’t be the first person to not wanna live in D-Town.

1 Like

Wow, now I’m really really becoming a Pistons fan as a secondary team ( I root for Phoenix) so they can be my east team. Rust belt connection. First Isaiah with the Rochester connection now they add a second Rochester product to an exhibit 10 deal.

Anthony Lamb from Vermont. I actually think he has a chance to catch on as an end of bench small ball 4.

There he is tourching the best d in the country, almost led them to an upset. He also covered easily for me that night. I’m all in on the Pistons baby,

Agreed they are just doing it a different way which people don’t care for. People don’t realize they have so many new faces, 2 weeks or so of camp and then into the regular season. People are underestimating how long it will take to get guys like Jackson/Wright/Grant/Plumlee/Bey/Hayes and others acclimated to systems etc
 Pistons have their sights set on Green or Cunningham 7 or so months from now.

1 Like

I think the number one goal for the season is to show that Blake can contribute to a team with deep playoff aspirations. Same for Rose.

I agree that should be a priority, but shouldn’t the top goal be to develop Hayes, Sekou and the other young players? I would rather finish this season with Blake and Rose still on the roster, but the young players having taken a step forward than getting those two off the roster but still not having any long-term pieces. Best case scenario we get both of those things and a top three pick in this loaded draft class. Will be a very quick rebuild if that’s the case.

Rose is on his last year so they could probably get something for him if he plays well.

Griffin has a harder contract to move, but they seem to be taking a safe gamble that Grant is better than a high end role player. And then if you can move Blake you can see what you have in Grant-Sekou at the forward spots.

I really like Grant. The current issue is they won’t have a top pick if Griffin is healthy. Between Rose, Griffin, and Grant they will be a playoff team in the east imo. They added Wright too.

Rose/Hayes
Wright/Ellington /Jackson
Grant/Seykou/Bey / Jackson
Griffin/ Grant /Seykou
Plumlee/Stewart

That’s going to win too many games to nab a top five pick. Might be picking in 15-20 range.

This is not the year you want to miss out on a top 6 or 7 pick.

As far as the future goes I like the vision. They are getting a great blend of lunch pail types.

Hayes
Bey
Stewart
Grant
Doumboya

They need a Cunningham, Boston, Green, or Kuminga type in this draft. If they land one of them the Pistons will be in great shape for years.

1 Like

There’s a lot of new faces and no training camp. I think they’ll lose a lot. And hopefully get worse at the trade deadline if they can move Rose and Griffin.

2 Likes

The east is better so that should help but I can’t see them winning under 35 games if they keep Griffin and Rose.

Josh Jackson had his moments last year for Memphis. I’m surprised they didn’t keep him as they’re thin on the wings. I think he’s a good gamble for Detroit.

Jackson’s issues aren’t on the court. He reportedly regularly showed up to everything either late or right on time and was the first to leave the gym after practice. Also wasn’t trying very hard to build bonds with other teammates. Just wasn’t a great locker room guy from what it sounded like.

1 Like

Is Emoni headed down this same path? He has many of the same parallels. Very involved parent, super highly touted at a young age, questionable locker room guy.