Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Guys I hate to say it but signing 26 year old Jerami Grant (a good player to have as the third/fourth best player on a contender, really pointless on a tanking team) to a mild overpay on the premise that he’s going to morph into a quality offensive player, while walking from 24 year old Christian Wood for $7 million less per season makes no sense.

Wood has played like an offensive center-piece (albeit briefly, but that’s better than “never”, which is how often Grant has) he can pick & pop AND pick & roll from the 5, and he is two years younger. He is a guy a tanking team should hang onto because he’s a potential all-star. Grant at 26 is basically what he is. Wood’s per 36 numbers are also identical to last year - he HAS been this good an offensive player, he’s just getting minutes now.

Over-paying 26-28 year olds isn’t tanking. Tanking is what’s happening in OKC.

2 Likes

All due respect, other than Grant, who on this team is even vaguely a defensive asset? I guess Dembouya you can squint and see the tools…

More Pistons talk on this site than Michigan talk over the last week :man_facepalming:

I’m ready for Wednesday.

7 Likes

Lol, I’m sure it’ll die soon, when they’re like 5-12.

We can shift to Cavs talk?

1 Like

Well Dylan hurry up your preview articles and we can switch our talk :wink:

3 Likes

Like I said, Josh Jackson. And Bey, Hayes, Doumbouya and Stewart project to be. Certainly better than what they had before.

Just trying to tell you what I THINK the plan is. Not sure what the reply question was for because my post was pretty straightforward.

Stewart’s projected short-coming is that he’s too small to guard his position (he is high motor though)

Jackson really hasn’t shown the ability to do anything at an NBA level (never going to knock signing a former lottery guy to a minimum deal to see what happens, just think it’s unlikely).

Given that Hayes’ biggest scouted weak point is athleticism, I’m skeptical about him being a plus defender.

Interesting stuff but it makes sense. It looks like they’re tanking to me. I’d guess Rose and Blake are gone by the deadline.

If you folks want a Pistons board/community that’s been around (from one host board to another) for years, here’s your site: https://7b7434d20e00-004870.vbulletin.net/forum/detroit-pistons-forum

1 Like

If you’re mad they signed Jerami Grant because he makes the roster too good to tank, but you’re also mad they didn’t sign Christian Wood (who you think is better than Jerami Grant), then it sounds like you might just be mad to be mad. Logic not adding up there.

6 Likes

I like the changes clear out players who do not fit or should be gone and bring in the type of players that fit what you want to do. I see this as positioning for future drafts and free agency. People are scoffing at some of the contracts but teams also have to spend a certain amount also during each season I believe per the collective bargaining agreement.

1 Like

Yes, I think signing a potential All-Star makes more sense than signing a good role player.

Obviously anyone can be wrong, but every single NBA analyst - Zach Lowe, Henry Abbot, John Hollinger, Nate Duncan - all think the Pistons had a disastrous free agent signing period.

Maybe they (and I) are (am) wrong, but it’s not because I’m being unreasonable.

I’m content to let it rest now - god knows I’ve posted enough in this thread (and the Pistons aren’t even my team!). As always, time will tell.

2 Likes

In an article on the Athletic, Edwards points out that because of changes to the lottery, it doesn’t pay off as much to tank and try and guarantee yourself a top 3 pick.

So basically, the Pistons added a couple players so that if Rose is healthy and playing well and Griffin is healthy and playing well, might sneak into the playoffs without affecting your long term plan. The team isn’t committed to anybody long term. After two years, the only players that will be under contract with Detroit will be Plumlee and Grant (entering the final years of their deals) and guys on their rookie contracts. Means a lot of flexibility.

I don’t really get the Grant and Plumlee deals, thing we overpaid (especially for Plumlee) but I think they’re also deals that can be moved if a team wants cap space and they’re not long term. So if they don’t work out, oh well. Not like we’re going to be a contender within a year or two anyways.

Also, really surprised at people upset about Plumlee.

Troy Weaver did what John Beilein could never do: Get a Plumlee to come to Michigan.

2 Likes

The failed GM, John Hollinger is offering hot takes on how other GM’s do business now?

2 Likes

Many more moves to be made

2 Likes

That seems like a good trade for the Pistons. I guess Smith hasn’t panned out but he’s still only a couple years removed from being a lotto pick

He’s been injured his whole career so far pretty much. Worth a flyer

1 Like
1 Like

So much for being a good move: