Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Fair. I don’t mean that he’s a black-hole post scorer. But it’s also not clear exactly what he is, especially on D. He’s 6’10-250 and not playing center. Isn’t seemingly a rim protector. Lots of questions about a guy that size on NBA 4s unless he’s a great athlete, which Banchero is not. So I guess I view Ivey’s downside as the smallest and most easily overcome, and Smith has probably the highest floor and lowest ceiling. You can’t come away with nothing - you have Cade, and keeping him in Detroit for his entire career is not a guarantee. You need to put players around him that fit, and starting now. Smith’s floor is still awfully high.

1 Like

I’m more muted on Banchero but I totally agree. He’s a playmaking Power Forward who has great passing skills, really good vision, and is a pretty intelligent offensive player. I’d be fascinated with how he’d gel with Cade but again, my concern is his defense and athleticism, the latter being something this Pistons squad desperately needs more of.

Which is why I think Ivey would be a good fit. While Ivey lacks Morant’s playmaking ability, I’m convinced he’s just as athletic and can get to the rack at will. I’m not too worried about his shooting or his defense. These are things he can work on. That type of athleticism is something you can’t teach.

1 Like

This did a good job of explaining why I’m higher on Banchero. (Would be happy with either though.)

1 Like

Well said. If Ivey had good mechanics and shot 35%+ from 3, we’d be drooling. And, TBH, it’s not like he’s incredibly far off from that. Cade’s shot isn’t the platonic ideal of beauty either.

Yeah. When I read that, Banchero notched up to #2 on Hack’s Big Board. But he couldn’t maintain that positioning.

Ivey is shooting 37% from 3 this year hardly terrible.

I think it’s 40%+ falling to 30% in conference play, but the FT percentage is indicative. It goes in enough that it’s not obviously and forever broken.

Be curious how he shoots off the catch and how he shoots off pull ups. Cade can get him more catch and shoot looks.

Where he fits on defense is a legit concern for Paulo. But I think with him and Cade you have two guys you can run the offense through and you just surround them with great role players (3&Ds and shot-blocking lob threats.)

2 Likes

Working around Banchero’s limitations on defense is not a bad problem to have. I still see Ivey as a more complete version of his position than Banchero at Banchero’s. Ideal fit of physical ability and positional expectations.

I have Ivey and Banchero switched. Mostly just because of ceiling. I think Banchero is probably going to be a solid NBA for 10 years. Probably has the highest floor of any of them. But I just don’t see him getting to an All Star level. The other three have that potential. Smith is going to be an awesome scorer. Just needs to continue to develop physically and mentally. With Chet, someone could travel back from the future and tell me he’s a Giannis type impact player or a flameout because his body could not handle the physicality and wear and tear of a long NBA season and I’d have no trouble believing either. Ivey would fit well with the Pistons IMO and would benefit from the spacing of the NBA game

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of love going on for Ivey. But mentioning him with Morant I don’'t see as even close. Not sure his handles are a plus plus. I see him as duplicative of a Hamdou Diallo type with the same suspect shot.

Diallo has a ton of lift but not very much wiggle. Ivey has a ton of both, and shoots much better at the line.

That said, an Ivey-Morant comparison is content I would watch very closely if there’s video out there.

2 Likes

I can see the fit offensively between Cade and Banchero. Both can create in high leverage situation where they can bounce off from each other in order to gain advantage on the defense.

Smith is an easy fit because of his shotmaking skills. He can be an elite 3 and D player for the Pistons and gives Cade more spacing to operate out of PnR.

I’m fine with either since they’re 1-2 for me. Chet is a bigger projection than either players IMO. I might have Ivey at #3 for the Pistons but that’s just nitpicking. Top 4 is where you want to be if you’re picking in the lottery.

2 Likes

Cade athleticism watch. (Bonus: the look on Livers’ face.)

6 Likes

Went to the Cruise game and sat in the 2nd row. Closest I’ve ever been for a pro basketball game. Amazing just how fast Walton can grab a rebound and get it up the court. And just how physical it gets down low when those big bodies crash together on rebounds.

1 Like

Michael Beasley is another comp I’ve heard for Paolo.

1 Like

I’ve seen Derrick Coleman and Julius Randle. Carmelo is another one.

Coleman and Boozer are interesting. Carmelo was a pure scorer and more of a wing than a big - I don’t see that comp.

I don’t really see Boozer at all. Agree on Carmelo. I usually go with PF version of Cade.