Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Last season was a lot more exciting, as most of their games were competitive and our (then) healthy rookies looked like steals. This season, both Bey and Stewart look like they’ve regressed, Lee isn’t playing much at all (not sure why not, since CoJo is so-so) and Killian is still finding his way.

1 Like

I’d like to see them let Stewart shoot some, even from 3. I think he may be capable, but he’s not getting any up. His scoring is down like 20% on a per minute basis, and it’s mostly a decrease in attempts.

2 Likes

Part of the problem is they played a tough schedule early. Then when the schedule started to ease up, Olynyk got hurt. I think his injury has been big, particularly on offense. We are easy to guard right now because nobody is shooting well. Shoot 20% from deep night in, night out, doesn’t matter if you play hard on defense.

Seems to be some tension - just on the court not lockeroom tension - between Cunningham and Grant. Both trying to be ISO players late in clock but Cade already seems superior in that regard IMO.

End of the day, I’m not worried. I’ve seen enough from Cade to make me confident he’s gonna be what we expect him to be. Stewart is playing fine. Bey’s shooting hasn’t been good but I’m not worried long term. Hayes is gradually improving. The players that are part of the future still look to be the future

I think they need to trade Grant more than anything. I think Stewart is clearly a quality rational piece, but not sure if he’ll be more than that. The jury is still out on Hayes. I suspect Bey will improve if he just settles in as a 3 and D guy as opposed to his efforts to really expand his offensive game this year.

Beyond that, build around Cade and they’ll probably have a top 5 pick to pair with him next season. I think Cade will break out next season like we’ve seen Ball make a leap this season.

Dave Bing re Cunningham

Here

Super weird of Bing to say that on Bally Sports. Bad take tho. There hasn’t really been anything to dissaude me from thinking Cade has top ten player upside

1 Like

Weird timing for the comments because Cade has been playing well lately and seems to be coming around. He is going to be good.

1 Like

Even HOF basketball players can still be dudes firing off haphazard hot takes after barely paying attention.

3 Likes

Was gonna post the same tweet. Cade looks like he’s about to break out. With Grant sidelined for a bit, it’ll be his team. Going to get stuff thrown at him by opposing defenses but I’m confident he can handle what comes his way. Numbers might not reflect how good he’s playing though, considering how bad the Pistons are overall.

1 Like

Yep. It’s been 40 years since Dave Bing was actually heavily involved in basketball outside of just being a fan of the game. It’s ok that his opinions are a bit out there. Also getting close to 80, so that filter lessens a bit as he gets older lol

Cade looks so smooth out there. I love his measured pace, and agree that it doesn’t make sense to believe in a hard cap on what he can be. However no matter that it’s also fair to say that the team needs another prospect like him they expect to see a championship window. It’s very important to hit on the next pick.

1 Like

It’s funny because Bing calls him a “future all-star” then says he’s not a guy to build around. Aren’t All-Stars guys to build around?

2 Likes

Depends on whether he’s an All-Star with All-Star friends who want to come play with him or an All-Star who is planning to leave to play on another team with his All-Star friends.

1 Like

I can sort of see what he’s saying. Joe Dumars was an All-Star and certainly one of the most important players on the Bad Boys, but I wouldn’t quite think of him as a franchise player. Same for say, Rip or Chauncey on the Goin’ to Work teams. Cade clearly has All-Star talent but where his ceiling is remains to be seen.

1 Like

Cade has the talent to be a franchise player. I’m honestly amazed at the serendipity of landing the picture perfect Piston in Cunningham. He embodies all qualities the PIstons like to project. Maybe Mobley and Barnes become better players than him, but there was no player in the draft that was more appropriate for the Pistons to draft. I have no doubt in my mind that Cade will at least strongly consider resigning with the Pistons once his rookie contract ends and that’s not something I can say about anyone else in the first round.

I don’t see Barnes as a #1 guy on a title team. I think he peaks as “elite glue guy” similar to Draymond or, if we’re pushing to the extreme, Pippen.

1 Like

I was thinking this pre-draft… But I feel like he’s shown enough that he has the upside to reach a higher level. Still rather have Cade, but Barnes has out-performed my expectations pretty significantly.

1 Like

I’m just saying that even if Cade doesn’t turn out to be the number 1 talent from his draft class, he’s still the perfect player for the Pistons. As for Barnes and his quality, his potential is off the charts. He is a true 6’8" uber athletic point guard with really good vision in transition. He’s already improving his jumper and half court passing.

His production right now is nothing to scoff at but people are really enamored by what he could become, and for good reason.

EDIT: [Charania] Jerami Grant is one of the most sought-after players in a potential trade sources said. Grant will miss extended time with torn ligaments in his right thumb, but that is not expected to impact his trade market.

Talks of trading Grant to the Warriors for Wiseman.

How about Poole back to Michigan with Grant going the other way…who says no?

Golden State does.

6 Likes

Wiseman stinks. I’d rather get a pick.

1 Like