Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Hard for me to get excited about any of those guys just yet. Could really use another guard.

Alpha scorer at whatever position. If thatā€™s Chet and we think heā€™s got two-way potential, then great. But itā€™s a leap of faith. Heā€™s so skinny itā€™s hard to believe.

2 Likes

Jaden Hardy is that guard. Heā€™s from Michigan and can score on all 3 levels. Heā€™s the exact type of player the Pistons need at G. Heā€™ll be a perfect compliment to Cade.

1 Like

Well, Mr. Cunningham got his first NBA double double. Not exactly in the most statistically pleasing way overall, but hey. Itā€™s something.

I saw a tweet putting his lack of practice time/game reps since the draft into perspective and I guess it assuages me to some extent. But man, 18% from the field through three games is something else. At least he was getting to the line and making them.

Also, though the box score might not look super majestic from Hayes, those who watched will certainly have seen that there is a potential outcome that involves Hates and Cunningham successfully coexisting out there. This of course much to the detriment of Pistons Reddit, many of whom seem to actively root for Hayes to, I donā€™t know, get hit by a bus or fall into a a well so that they can be right about his status as a bust rather root for his success. While Iā€™m not convinced that outcome (the both of them existing successfully in the same starting lineup) is the most likely endgame, itā€™s at the very least encouraging to see Hayes have a nice game.

1 Like

On Hayesā€™ improved shooting, Casey said heā€™s benefitting from playing off-ball more. ā€œHeā€™s more of a two, spaced out, not handling the ball and the ball is finding him. Thatā€™s it. And Iā€™m really happy for him to see the ball go through the basket.ā€

4 Likes

His form looks much better when he shoots off the catch.

Working with JB paying off?

Heā€™s 4/7 in the last two games, prior to that he was 4/14. I think itā€™s probably early to say if he has or has not improved much less what caused it.

Obviously 4/7 is good, hopefully some level of success (though not 50%+ obviously) continues.

Not for everyone, but for most shooting off the catch is easier than off the dribble, so Iā€™m not shocked that moving him off ball would have some improvement in his shooting.

At this point, he is a pretty tangible anchor on the offense, season to date (on/off is tricky, yes, and ESPECIALLY tricky after 7 games, butā€¦)

The pistons have a 90.4 Ortg (ie, 90 points per 100 possessions) with him on the floor
and a 104 Ortg with him on the bench.

The league average is 107 so far this year.

Even when he shot poorly in the early games , I thought he looked more confident and consistent IMO. Whereas last season, it was anyoneā€™s guess where the ball would end up on his jumpers. JMO

Obviously, thereā€™s no Spokane-version of Camp Sanderson. He looks exactly like he did 8 months ago.

I saw Chet play in person when he played against Emoni Bates. He doesnā€™t look that skinny when heā€™s standing 15 feet away from you. I think heā€™s the only person in history where the camera takes away 10 pounds instead of adding it.

4 Likes

ā€œFade for Cadeā€ is now ā€œGet fat on Pancheros and draft Banchero.ā€

6 Likes

Iā€™m still pretty in on the Hardy bandwagon. People forget he didnā€™t play last year so he probably is extremely rusty in games, let alone going straight into the G League.

2 Likes

He would be a perfect fit for the Pistons who is starved with G depth. Frank Jackson and CoJo shouldnā€™t be counted on as a contributor in the rotation yet they are because they have zero depth.

1 Like

If the Pistons drafted Banchero would that out Stewart on the bench? Stew is an undersized 5, Batchelor is taller than Stew. How would that work?

Offensively I donā€™t see how they canā€™t play together. I havenā€™t watched enough of Banchero to know about his defense but Stewart is very switchable. The question is whether Grant is the long term plan at the 4.

1 Like

Honestly if Detroit can draft Banchero, Holmgren or Duren it makes me think one of Stewart or Grant could be used in a trade for additional draft picks or going to get a vet. I think if Detroit can continue to develop the young guys and then go get another big time player in this next draft the next step is adding quality vets in free agency or trades that can play a lot and affect winning.

1 Like

Cade had a nice little night in Houston yesterday. Jump to the 30 second mark to get past the ads.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t gotten to watch my boy Isaiah yet, why only 22 minutes a game? I like Kelly but seems silly. Iā€™d figure theyā€™d let him loose this year.

Let him loose?

Heā€™s a decent backup on a good team. Thatā€™s about it. Good motor. Not a starter.