Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

No, he wasn’t? He wasn’t playing PG in the Summer league games.

1 Like

Head honcho =/= PG

1 Like

His usage was relatively low,

I can’t say I watched the Pistons summer league games at all I was just responding to an assertion that seemed to equate lead guard with point guard.

He took more shots than anybody else in both games he played. He had the ball in his hands quite a bit. I can’t find advanced stats of summer league games, but even if his usage was “relatively low” (compared to who?), the Pistons had other players in the backcourt that they’re trying to develop in addition to Cunningham.

2 Likes

Huh? His usage was 30% and easily the highest on the team during summer league play. Hayes’ was tiny compared to Cade.

3 Likes

He also led the Pistons in PNR possessions per game during SL :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I just remember the first game Cade setting up Tyler Cook for about 6 or 7 possible alleyoops and Cook biffed em all in a terrible game for him.

3 Likes

I don’t have access to those numbers, but I’m not surprised having watched the games. I’m pretty sure we’re just falling into a bit of the classic “person who brings the ball up the court isn’t always the lead guard/playmaker” trap a la Walton and Stauskas.

I’m in the Cade is not (just) a PG camp, but do want him to lead the team in usage and pnr possessions. Think that s a better guide to whether the Pistons are making enough use of him.

2 Likes

What makes you think he isn’t a PG?

2 Likes

I think there are times you want him to dribble the ball up and initiate the offense, sometimes you want him coming off a pin down and attacking with leverage, sometime you want him posting up, sometimes… etc.

He’s not super quick so I don’t think you always want him attacking a defense from a stand still at the top of the key. Get him the ball on the move where he can attack and make quick decisions.

Also don’t think he can guard point guards.

1 Like

Good to see Hayes get 11 shots up tonight, at least.

1 Like

Should have add a handful more assists if the Pistons didn’t shoot so awful. But last night was the kind of aggression I’d like to see from him. I think he was helped by the pace, even if a game at that pace is probably not best for the Pistons having a chance to win the game.

2 Likes

It was nice to see Killian get in the flow and really look good on offense in that 2nd quarter. I don’t expect he’ll be a 40% shooter from deep beyond his stats after 3 games, but he’ll be so much more effective if he makes the defense at least have to think about him scoring.

Speaking of 3-pointers, If the woeful outside shooting of the Pistons continues, I think Livers might get a really good look once he gets healthy. I do think Bey will find the range once more. You can tell that he really worked on a lot of other things during the offseason and I’d think his shot will return sometime soon.

As for Frank Jackson, who was supposed to be helping as a shooter, I don’t know. He’s been terrible. So much so that I’m really starting to buy into that haircut thing… :rofl:

The tough schedule, combined with Cade and now Jerami out, means a rough October and early-November.

Aside from Killian showing some signs, another highlight was Kelly-O showing out. Since he’s not really young, I see him as a guy we could potentially flip to a contender later in the season.

Yeah outside of Grant and Bey they don’t really have real wings (sort of Josh Jackson? Olynyk are the 4?) and Livers brings a skill they don’t have much of (shooting).

For all the lip I got about being concerned with using Cade being sat in the corner and playing a heavily off ball role, that is literally what is happening now.

The degree to which this team can’t shoot is amazing to me and I thought they’d be the worst shooting team in the league.

I mean you got lip because you said he had a low summer league usage rate when he literally had the highest summer league usage rate on the team. When you say incorrect things people are going to point them out, regardless of your overall point. As they shouuld.

7 Likes

Casey is a good developer of young talents but he is awful in game strategy and X’s and O’s. The fact he continuously insist on Cade playing off the ball and have him stand at corner is insane. There is a reason why the Raptors fans were glad to see Casey gone.