Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Hayes is obviously struggling and I think he needs to spend time in the G-League. He looked good for about 8-9 minutes (3 early dimes), but then reverted to bringing the ball up, passing it off, and standing in the corner. The problem is not just him though - it’s guard play overall Frank Jackson has been quite bad (not a huge shock), and more surprisingly, their veteran presence, Joseph, has been the same. Bulls guards had 10 steals and 6 blocks last night…talk about overmatched.

But the positives! Stew has now snuffed out a very good offensive center twice now, and Jerami Grant’s defense has been really good as well. I’m also encouraged by Bey’s development with the ball in his hands.

1 Like

On another note, I tried warning people (not here) that we had a lot more data saying Frank Jackson is a low 30s three point shooter than we do that he’s a 40% shooter who can be a real #2 option. Two games is obviously way too small to sound the alarm, but I’ll just say I’m not exactly surprised that he’s been struggling in a starting role.

1 Like

Wow that’s an incredible analysis / indictment of Detroit backcourt. If play continues to be so poor, i wonder if it will affect development of surrounding players. Hopefully w Cade one trouble spot is filled, not necessarily with good nba play but at least w a developmental purpose.

The pistons still being bad this year is kinda ideal for the future of the team anyways. You snag one of the top 5 guys next year to pair with Cade AND Blake’s money comes off the books.

7 Likes

Part of it is Casey is not a strong X’s and O’s coach and game strategy is one of his weakpoint. He’s very good at developing young talent and building up culture though. There is a reason why the Raptors fans couldn’t wait to get rid of Casey. I suspect that we’ll see frustration from the fans on how they utilize certain players.

I think the plan is to go all in during 2023 free agency. Almost all their contracts come off the books or become team options then.

Yeah I don’t mind it at all. You just gotta have faith that people up top will remain patient.

3 Likes

I think Casey is the right coach for a developing team. I do think that having outright incompetent point guard play can derail everything else, and if I were GM I’d have been interested in an Ish Smith type (at moderate cost) just to have a guy who can make things function for everyone else.

2 Likes

This season is all about figuring out which position to draft for with Detroit’s 2022 lottery pick. Bey and Stewart look locked in to their positions. Do they give Cade a shot at being the lead guard where they can draft a SG like Jaden Hardy? Do they think Bey can show enough on ball creation where they can slide him down to the shooting guard spot and draft a shooting wing like Caleb Houstan? Do they like their pieces enough to consider moving Jerami Grant and drafting a Chet / Banchero type if they are available wherever Detroit picks? As of today there aren’t really any PGs that look worthy of a top-7 pick, so they need to use this season to figure out what they can do there.

2 Likes

All I am saying is that being unable to initiate halfcourt offense makes that task significantly harder. How can you evaluate a prospect who shoots of the catch is the PG can’t get him a shot? How can you evaluate Stewart as a pick and pop/roll guy if the PG can’t utilize a screen?

I know the Pistons are not a playoff team, but guys need to learn how to play. Rolling out a zero at guard every day hurts that.

I would also argue that having Hayes spectate from the left corner as his teammates play 4 on 5 is not in his best long term developmental interest.

1 Like

Right. I think you and I are worried about same thing. It’s just hard to evaluate and develop if the PG is completely abject. Which sounds firmly in play.

1 Like

I agree. Casey is the right coach for the developing team. The question becomes once the Pistons is ready to make a big leap into being playoff team, is Casey the right coach to take them over the hump. That remains to be seen and I’m not high on him in terms of X’s and O’s and game strategy/tactic.

If they don’t give Cade a shot of being a lead guard then drafting him was a mistake. They have to give Cade the key to be the lead guard or I’m going to lose faith in Casey.

1 Like

Yeah, what was the point in drafting Cade if the Pistons weren’t going to commit to developing him as a lead guard? It will be immensely frustrating if Cade’s role during Summer League is any indication of his future here.

Dude, it’s been two games and he hasn’t played

1 Like

I don’t follow the Pistons or the NBA particularly closely but Cade Cunningham hasn’t played a game yet right?

He played Summer League.

Probably get his first game on Saturday.

And was clearly the head honcho in all two of the games he played IMO. Think some are just panicking over nothing.

He’ll play on and off the ball. It’s a developing team. Trying to maximize each and every possession over the development of our multiple young players is shortsighted.

2 Likes

People get crazy early in the year I already heard a Raptor fan say Scottie Barnes is a cross between Magic Johnson and Giannis. Just like fans are upset at Casey for not telling people when Cade is going to play.

1 Like