Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

I might think Reed will start? Stewart seems like the odd man out.

I forgot about him lol

Either Duren or Beef are the odd man out and likely will be traded. I think Beef is a valuable role player for a team that is looking for a backup switchable C defender who can shoot.

Yeah, Iā€™d be shocked if they went into the season with Duren, Stewart, and Reed

Reed is a cromulent backup C, I assume thatā€™s what they signed him for.

I also think Sasserā€™s battle for PT with the assorted old guys they brought in is the other swing question

at the forward spots, seems clear Harris will get 32-35 minutes and is pretty durable too, Fontecchio, Ausar, and then probably a fourth guy getting minutes here or there. Technically, I think there is room for Stewart here (Iā€™m not convinced based on SL yet that Klintman can play yet, and Holland almost certainly canā€™t, and Fontecchio seems too small for the 4 anyway), but heā€™s overpaid for the role.

1 Like

That Stewart contract I think is pretty clearly a bad one right now. Seems like itā€™ll be difficult to move that unless he plays and shows heā€™s worth that money. Maybe his rep in the league is better than I think, I dk.

15 mil per is pretty doable to move and Boston were reportedly interested in him on trade deadline. Itā€™s not a bad contract tbh.

I think Langdon isnā€™t done with the roster for the season opener. I think either Duren or Beef (most likely Beef) will get moved.

I think this offseason shows valuations have changed a lot. Nobody was taking on $15M for a backup 5.

well Troy Weaver isnā€™t employed to give it to Bagley

1 Like

15 mil is a bad contract for a switchable big that shoots 38% from three?

Duran, Reed and Stewart make a combined 27mil this season. Thatā€™s only 20% of the salary cap. Not sure why you would need to move one of them.

I think if anyone were to be moved it would probably be Reed. 2 years/14 mil (non-guaranteed) is easy to work into a trade.

They canā€™t move him as they just signed him.

i do not think heā€™s a switchable big in a meaningful sense. iā€™m guessing heā€™s a 5 not a 4 and itā€™s possible that that gets him to league average bc he can defend that position and shoot.

but shooting slightly above league average on low usage and playing bad D is not a league average player and thatā€™s what heā€™s done the last couple seasons. and thatā€™s why i donā€™t think i would want him on that contract given where it looks like the market is at. look at who got signed for what years and dollars. teams were not splashing $$ around and the new matching ā†’ hard cap rules for trades makes taking slightly negative guys to create ā€œslotsā€ much less tenable.

if the Pistons show he can be a pick and pop 5 who can adequately protect the rim, okay, that makes sense.

Do you watch the Pistons?!? Not switchable? Playing bad defense? Even the Pistons fans that hate him would disagree with those assessments. Even early in his career he was showing an ability to stay in front of guards while providing above average rim protection.

https://x.com/ToTheBasketPod/status/1808621847132713055

Player Impact stuff generally universally says Stewart is mildly below average on defense, and a millstone on offense. His slide on defense over his career (his rookie year was his best) is pretty firmly tied to ā€œhow much 4 is he playingā€. He was an above average defender at the 5, and clearly a much poorer one at the 4.

The reason to trade one of the 3 is because 1 of them at all times will likely not be playing, so you have dead salary invested in a depreciating asset (guys generally donā€™t get more valuable on the bench), so you deal one before they ride the pine.

1 Like

I mean youā€™re not saying anything different than I said. He hasnā€™t played the 5 where he was impactful for a while and if you think teams will be willing to just assume that small sample of good defense is what he is now seems unlikely to me. Like I said, if he demonstrates he is that, then Iā€™d say heā€™s being paid what youā€™d expect which makes him merely not a negative asset. Heā€™s young enough that his O can improve that I wouldnā€™t be shocked if he could do better than that but heā€™s not THAT young either.

As for switchability, you can put a lot of different players at the 5 and call them switchable and then find out they donā€™t really make your defense very good. Itā€™s an overrated trait compared to the more traditional things bigs do on D in the NBA.

For posterity sake, here is what the impact metrics would say about several notable Pistons last year:

Cade: Pretty good offensively, poor defensively.
Ivey: Poor both offensively and defensively.
Duren: Basically average both ways (slightly above average defensively, slightly below offensively)
Stewart: slightly below average defensively, poor offensively.
Thompson: above average defensively, horrific offensively
Killian Hayes: average defensively, horrifc offensively
Sasser: poor both ways
Fontecchio: positive offensively, a bit below average defensively
Bagley: average offensively, poor defensively

I just had to throw in Killian and Bags

:rotating_light: COLIN :rotating_light:

It says Fontecchio had the best BPM on the team here

I said career! I SAID CAREER!

Not going to name my sources, but rumor has it Langdon is working a trade for Nate Will as we speak at the summer league game. Looking smooth out there. Heā€™s coming to team up with Beef Stew off the bench.

Also put some respect on my man Stews name already. Bro isnā€™t going anywhere.

1 Like

If you are going to trade him, I actually donā€™t think he will be hard to deal.

Still think he profiles as a solid big off the bench. Maybe not a fit currently but on better teams with different skill sets than Detroit has he could be valuable and useful.