Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Well, I guess I can imagine this going really well for the Magic if Isaac plays 1500+ minutes this year. Pretty hard for there to be much downside too.

https://twitter.com/mikeascotto/status/1809701167817015297?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

NNAS is the new JAS

9 Likes

I mean no team is drawing up Tobias Harris in a big moment

This boards ability to talk themselves into the latest crop of fringe rotation guys the Pistons bring in is undefeated

We’re talking up Beasley and THJ, lol. Harris may be (may be?) better than that, but wildly overpaid

(Fontecchio is a screaming deal fwiw)

Love the initial (agent leaked) details of $85 mil that ignores that $30 mil is non-guaranteed

2 Likes

Way worse in the NFL. Agents sure are good at spin though.

I think you’re just focusing on the wrong stuff here. The Pistons need cromulent players and most of the stuff you don’t like about THJr and Harris are bad playoff series.

This is the Pistons last year among players getting 500+ minutes:

3 dudes in the vicinity of league average and the rest at or even well below replacement level. That’s how you end up in “these guys are so bad that they’re all making each other even worse and good lord who knows if any of these guys will ever be any good” territory.

5 Likes

Since his first time with the Pistons, Tobias Harris is 1012 of 2662 from 3 over that nine year span, which is 38%. Stew had his career high of 38% from 3 last year, making 67 of 175 attempts. I think Tobias might have a slightly more reliable sample size…

6 Likes

I’m mean if a roster full of 8th men is what you’re going for, sure

They’re deep, they have no actual good players

Is Cade the only guy who is top 30 at his position?

Look I don’t want to be too harsh (though being really harsh on the Pistons has gotten me a spotless record so far, I’m also ornery about the return from DeRozan), but the Pistons are going to be awful next year, and other than maybe Holland being worthwhile I don’t see progress from what they’ve done, I see a ton of treading water. Ok, they got Hardaway and Beasley and Harris, all of whom got drummed out of playoff rotations this year. I realize that’s a concern the Pistons don’t have but I think speaks to what these guys are capable of adding.

They’ve basically repeated last offseason, except maybe these guys won’t get hurt?

Like I Cade as the…12th best PG? (In no order, Curry, Shea, Halli, Lillard, Maxey, Brunson, Irving, Murray, Morant, Fox, Trae)

Duren is around the 30th center, give or take?

He’s not lights out but I agree he can definitely shoot a bit, particularly for a guy who will play the 4. Between Harris and Stewart you have a solid three ball tandem at the 4.

Hardaway , Beasley , Harris were a nice trio of vets to add for a team that was horrendous and really young. I think Detroit did well between that and Holland. Still need to watch more Klimann (think that’s how you spell it).

They’re no OKC with the young talent and future but I do think they have a better group and more upside than they’ve delivered on . Excited to see what they can develop into and I think they will be at least fun and competitive most nights.

I think they need to stack up a bunch of rotation to meh starter level minutes so the team doesn’t crumple under the weight of Ivey, Ausar, and Holland’s 5-6K replacement level minutes. And those guys need to be able to fit into a lot of different lineups around potentially very bad young guys.

Fontecchio hasn’t been above replev in ~2400 career minutes to BPM that came in age 27 and 28 seasons. So not sure he’s really helping the problem here tbh.

Beasley can’t stay healthy so that’s a problem for a team that really needs minutes eaters.

I think THJr is prob not great but he’s at least rotation caliber and perhaps league average depending on why exactly DARKO likes him and BPM doesn’t. But he does seem like a pretty good bet to give you 1800 minutes of the cromulent variety.

Harris, same but even more so bc he really soaks up minutes. THJr + Harris is prob like 4K minutes of cromulence. And they REALLY needed that. They prob needed 1 more tbh and maybe pursuing Harris got in the way of that? But dumpster diving is perilous, see last year.

As for the fit stuff, I think they all bring shooting and I’m just not that worried about that as much as I’d be worried about having decent players always on the floor.

it is strange to me that at midseason everyone was saying harris was coming back to detroit, and i figured this was an ill-fated weaver thing where he wanted to way overpay for this guy who wasn’t cutting it elsewhere, and then once weaver was fired i assumed that was over, and now here we are and harris did come back to detroit

never mind, in the course of typing this out i realized it must be a gores/tellum thing

Apparently Harris still has ties to Detroit and wanted to come back.

1 Like

As long as they’re not historically bad, show a little development from the young guys, and don’t have batshit crazy lineups all the time, I’m going to be fairly satisfied.

Without grossly overpaying people, you’re not going to get a great selection of free agents with where this team has been under Gores.

2 Likes

No one was coming in that door right now that was going to be a game changer imo from the outside looking in.

Harris is a solid player. These three adds improve the team, improve shooting, and buy some time while trying to get this trending in the right direction.

Gives some flexibility in lineups too. Not sure how any of them are locker room wise but all 3 guys have won before and can hopefully build a better culture and teach the young guys how to be pros.

1 Like

Is this code for “they offered him 25% above market”

You know people actually like living in Detroit, right?

1 Like

I don’t think my point suggests otherwise

Thinking the Pistons didn’t really accomplish anything this offseason is actually not at all related to my opinion of the metro Detroit area

Even if they essentially replaced Bojan and Burks with Tobias and TIMMAY, they added two guys who don’t generally miss chunks of the season. That has been a big issue the last couple of years. Jaden Ivey played 77 games. There was one other player who hit the court over 70 times (Sasser). Some guys got shut down early but most missed games due to injury. Bojan was out until December, Burks missed 6 out of the first 10 games. Duren hurt his ankle a few games into the season. Cade missed 20 games. Stew missed about the same. Joe Harris and Monte Morris were broken down for pretty much their whole time as Pistons. Bags missed a lot of time too.

Bringing in quality guys who are available to play is already an upgrade. Though, I do wonder whether some of these health issues might be avoided with a better training and medical staff.

Apparently my man Jeenathan Williams is going by Nate Williams now and is on the Rockets.

Get him to Detroit baby.

1 Like

Tobias’ wife is from Michigan (I think she grew up in Warren) FWIW