Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

There are still some guys who could be a 3rd big out there, like Thomas Bryant and Javale McGee.

2 Likes

What is higher

The number of millions on this contract
Or the number of games he will play during its duration

I tend to think Carter is an ok starting center, and Goga isā€¦not. But you donā€™t sign Goga and Mo to deals if you intend to keep Carter.

Really no idea how to figure out what kind of deal to give the guy unless there are some serious clauses around games played. Consider:

Jon Isaac

• 7 seasons since heā€™s been drafted
  • 5 seasons with min 1 game played
  • 4,550 minutes played in his career

Franz

• 3 seasons played
  • 7,375 minutes played

EDIT: oh right just to bug @telekinetic

EDIT 2: Regretting I didnā€™t put, like, Pooh Richardson and John Salley.

3 Likes

https://x.com/Betsycashmoney/status/1808326170556948924

2 Likes

That makes sense tho Iā€™m still skeptical itā€™s such a screaming deal even w the cap going way up. Seems like fair-ish value for a guy who has never played 2,000 minutes in a single season.

Heā€™s a very useful player when heā€™s healthy though. I was really hoping theyā€™d give up on him and the Pistons could go after him.

1 Like

The issue obviously isnā€™t ā€œhow effective is heā€ though, so all these per minute models sort of ignore the elephant in the room

Also does Garrett Temple have a Udonis Haslem style understanding but with the NBA generally and not a specific team

Given how is career started I am shocked moe is still in the league and makes 10mil+ a year. Kind of figured he was getting good deals as a favor to franz but then I looked them up and heā€™s actually put up really good number the past few season for a backup big.

2 Likes

Heā€™s the best offensive reserve center in the league

2 Likes

Wow Giddey younger, cheaper, and better than Cade? Bulls :chart_with_upwards_trend:

1 Like

Does DARKO factor in swag levels?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/statcenter/status/1808874839521776038?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

Bryant and Stewart are close too. Maybe could get some traction there.

Iā€™ve always liked Trent, sign me up for that for Detroit.

Bryant re-upped with the Heat

Review the Darko scenario for me. IIRC, the Piston fan community was about evenly split between picking Darko or the next obvious choice (again, IIRC) Carmelo Anthony. Also, IIRC, Darko was supposed to be the next Dirk Nowitzki.

But arenā€™t isnā€™t there the claim out there that if the Pistons would have picked Carmelo they would not have traded for Sheed and hence would not have won it all in 2004?

I donā€™t remember Melo as the obvious alternative to Darko for the Pistons. I think Bosh and Wade were both in the conversation. They both looked like better fits to me.

1 Like

Bosh was the alternate option for big man, but it was most definitely between Darko and Melo. Any other talk is revisionist history. Darko was regarded as an elite prospect that would be #1 overall most years and Melo just dominated CBB on the way to a national championship and played the position that was weakest in the Pistons starting lineup.

I also love how this conversation developed :joy:

3 Likes

I would agree Bosh would have been a better fit. They didnā€™t have bird rights to keep Okur and he left after the title. It was Corliss Ben Elden Okur in 04. Of course they drafted Milicic because they hadnā€™t acquired Rasheed yet.

I would think drafting Melo wouldnā€™t behoove Joe to trade for Sheed. Would Melo destroy the core with his attitude and would Larry Brown allow Melo to have significant PT? Tayshaun Prince wouldā€™ve started over Melo and is a perfect 3 and D wing player for the core.